[comp.sys.ibm.pc] directory lister that lists hidden files also

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/18/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Jun17235522@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>  I am looking for a directory lister that lists hidden files. Preferably the
>program should allow the option of listing only those files that are not
>hidden. A good example is 'ls' on unix.  Is there a public domain version of
>this for MS-DOS?  I have a program that lists hidden files but it is within an
>environment.  What I want should run from the command line.

Please take a look at dirw.exe and hidden.exe.  The former is in
package /pc/ts/tsutil29.arc and the latter in /pc/ts/tsutlc16.arc.
Dirw.exe shows (recursively if you wish) a directory list, including
hidden files.  Hidden.exe lists all hidden files on a device.  The
packages are available by anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.3.

>  Also, while I am at it, is there a 'chmod' program available. The 'attrib'
>on DOS seems limited. I want something more powerful.

Yes, there is a chmod in picnix utilities, as far as I recall.
There is also a programm called attr.exe, which I think is in xanadu
utilities, but im not quite sure that it wasn't in some other
utility package.  Take a look at the files in the /pc/pd2 directory
at chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

sos@psc90.UUCP (Steffan O'Sullivan) (07/10/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Jun17235522@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>  I am looking for a directory lister that lists hidden files. Preferably the
>program should allow the option of listing only those files that are not
>hidden. A good example is 'ls' on unix.  Is there a public domain version of
>this for MS-DOS?  I have a program that lists hidden files but it is within an
>environment.  What I want should run from the command line.
>
>  Also, while I am at it, is there a 'chmod' program available. The 'attrib'
>on DOS seems limited. I want something more powerful.

The Shareware package 4DOS does mostly that.  That is, it will list hidden
files from the command line, but (as far as I know) won't list only hidden
files.  It also has a powerful chmod program (attrib, expanded).

-Steffan O'Sullivan      sos@psc90.uucp;  (after 7/20: sos@oz.plymouth.edu)
   before 7/19:   uunet!unhd!psc90!sos;   decvax!dartvax!psc90!sos
    after 7/20:   uunet!unhd!oz!sos;      decvax!dartvax!oz!sos