[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Computer for Student

bstantus@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (07/10/90)

My son is just staring his freshmen year in college and is looking for an IBM
compatable system since the schools compter lab in IBM. I suspect that he will
be using it mostly for word processing since he is going into pre med. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. He wants to keep the cost down since the
money is comming out of his pocket not mine :).

Thanks in advance
Bob

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (07/10/90)

In article <602.2698591f@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> bstantus@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
>My son is just staring his freshmen year in college and is looking for an IBM
>compatable system since the schools compter lab in IBM. I suspect that he will
>be using it mostly for word processing since he is going into pre med. Any
>suggestions would be appreciated. He wants to keep the cost down since the
>money is comming out of his pocket not mine :).
>
>Thanks in advance
>Bob

Be sure to ask about educational discount rates from whatever computer
companies you talk to.  Many of the "bigger-name" companies offer student
discounts.  I'm currently using a Zenith system that I could never have
afforded at their regular prices, which I bought at student discount.

Scott D. Coulter				uucp: ...!gatech!ics!scott
Software Engineering Research Center		InterNet: scott@ics.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology
"Everybody's talking to computers, they're all dancing to a drum machine..."

ken@trsvax.UUCP (07/10/90)

Being a student myself I know how he feels.  Your best bet is to look on
the buliteen boards at the school.  People are always selling computers to
get rid of them or to upgrade.  Software with manuals usually come included
which is nice.  Here in Texas you can pick up an XT for about $450.00 with
a 20 meg hard drive if you wait for the right deal.  A 286 AT may cost
$900.00-1500.00 depending upon what brand it is.

If he wants to buy a new computer there is a company called CompuAdd that
is pretty reasonable if you buy a complete system.  Try to steer away from
their individual products though.

Good Luck,

KEN
#include <std.disclaimer>

"Good Planets are hard to find so don't blow this one."  - TIME