[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telebit T1000 modem @ 9600 baud

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (07/08/90)

Help!  I'm using a Telebit T1000.  But I can't seem to get connected
anywhere at 9600 baud.  Bulletin boards which run at 9600 usually have
US Robotics modems, and I can't seem to do better than 2400 anywhere.
A little faster than 2400 maybe, but generally choppy and
unpredictable.  The manuals (especially in describing setting the
registers) are very difficult to understand...(translated?)  Anyway,
could someone out there please give me a good initialization string to
try?  I'm using Telix 3.12 by the way, on a 386SX.  Any help would be
GREATLY appreciated... thanks a bunch.
--
Adam Porter   adam@research.nec.com   {...}!princeton!necserve!adam    C:\> alp

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) (07/09/90)

9600 baud modems are not standardized enough yet. 9600 bauds with MNP 5 and
v.32 compatable are the closest to a standard modem.  I have heard stories
of v.32 modems of different brand not being able to communicate with
each other.  The USR dual standard(HST and v.32) seems like the best invest-
ment, but they are pretty expensive.

In article <1979@vela.acs.oakland.edu> bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:

| 9600 baud modems are not standardized enough yet. 9600 bauds with MNP 5 and
| v.32 compatable are the closest to a standard modem.

  V.42 seems to be the standard error checking now. Not that many
vendors have it today, but that most have said they will have it. I
believe I saw a note that Telebit has a ROM update for it.

|                                                       I have heard stories
| of v.32 modems of different brand not being able to communicate with
| each other.

  I haven't seen this with Telebit, Hayes, and Vadic, and we have a
pretty good sample of each. Some off brands, maybe. I've seen MNP 4
modems which wouldn't talk, so you are not imagining the potential for a
problem, although it is unlikely.

|              The USR dual standard(HST and v.32) seems like the best invest-
| ment, but they are pretty expensive.

  Lots of BBS systems and radio amateur links use HST. Most of usenet
runs Telebit (for high speed) since that's what uunet uses. The Telebit
T2500 supports 1200 and 2400 with MNP, 19.2 with PEP (and uucp support
for even higher effective speed), and V.32. I believe v.42 error
checking is in the latest ROMs.

  V.32 is great for interactive use and SL/IP, but on many lines it is
useless without error correction of some flavor. The T2500 is about $800
street price, but might have some down a hair recently, there were price
drops somewhere.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (07/09/90)

In article <Jul.8.12.46.44.1990.21763@caip.rutgers.edu> porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) writes:
$Help!  I'm using a Telebit T1000.  But I can't seem to get connected
$anywhere at 9600 baud.  Bulletin boards which run at 9600 usually have
$US Robotics modems, and I can't seem to do better than 2400 anywhere.

   Depending on what kind of USR modem they are, they may not do V.32,
which is the international 9600 bps standard.  USR's product line includes
the following three modems:

USRobotics Courier V.32:  This one implements the standards at rates from
	300 to 9600 bps, and does MNP up to level 5
USRobotics Courier HST:  This one implements the standards at rates from
	300 to 2400 bps, and does MNP up to level 5.  It also has a
	proprietary USR mode that provides asymmetric 14.4 kbps but
	this is not compatible with V.32
USRobotics Courier Dual Standard:  Does everything the above two do

   So if the BBSs are using the HST modem, that's what the problem is.
My modem only goes up to 2400 bps so I can't say whether the typical
BBS uses a V.32-capable modem or not.
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/
  /---------\_____________________________________________________\----------/

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (07/10/90)

In article <1979@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent Besler) writes:

> 9600 baud modems are not standardized enough yet. 9600 bauds with MNP 5 and
> v.32 compatable are the closest to a standard modem.  I have heard stories
> of v.32 modems of different brand not being able to communicate with

> each other.  The USR dual standard(HST and v.32) seems like the best invest-
> ment, but they are pretty expensive.

First of all the modems primary application must be considered. If the modem
is going to be mainly used to call BBS's and download files then the USR may
be the way to go.

However, if you regularly use your modem with Xenix/Unix uucp for news
and file transfer then the Telebits will run circles around the USR simply
because the uucp support is built into the firmware of the Telebits.

Now for the bad news: the T1000 is not a v.32 modem, nor can it be
upgraded to one. The T1000 only achieves 9600 in PEP mode, which means
you have to be talking to another modem that talks in PEP. Also, forget
about MNP-5 at high speed, it's only supported in slow, non-PEP mode.

Personally I like the T1000, but then I talk PEP.:-)
--
uucp: holston!barton