[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Stiction problem on Seagate ST-251

igb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Isidore G Bendrihem) (07/10/90)

I have a Seagate ST251 (40MB) disk whose platter is failing to spin on
power up.  At first, I thought the motor was flaky, but after talking to
some local people, it seems like the drive is suffering from a common
problem that affects Seagate drives: Stiction.  Stiction occurs when too
much resin is placed on the platters to help the read/write head slide
over the platter.  After a while, the resin accumulates on the head to the
point that the head literally sticks to the platter.  The motor doesn't have
enough torque to spin the platter loose from the head, and it starts to
heat up.  The control circuitry detects this heating up and shuts the motor
off before it burns up.  Stiction can also be caused by dirt, humidity, or
exessive oil from the motor.

Does anybody knows what I can do to fix this problem?  I have access to
clean rooms and a variety of chemicals I could use to clean up the heads.
I'd really like to save this drive since is barely 2 years old.  Any
companies that specialize on repairing this type of problem would also
help.  Thanks.

Isidore Bendrihem

keshava@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul9.214341.4490@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> igb@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Isidore G Bendrihem) writes:
>I have a Seagate ST251 (40MB) disk whose platter is failing to spin on
>power up.  At first, I thought the motor was flaky, but after talking to
>some local people, it seems like the drive is suffering from a common
>problem that affects Seagate drives: Stiction.  Stiction occurs when too
>much resin is placed on the platters to help the read/write head slide
>over the platter.
>Isidore Bendrihem

The Seagate ST4051 (40MB full height) rigid also has the sticking
problem.  A workstation I once used incorporated this drive.  The
sticking got so bad that the machine wouldn't boot, and the drive had
to be replaced.  Fortunately, I backed-up my desktop.  (To the
skeptics - It pays to backup regularly!!)

My AT compatible also has this drive, and it occasionally sticks.  The
only way I've overcome this is to repeatedly (with a few seconds
delay) power on/off the machine until the drive spins up.  I know this
could wreak havoc with the electronics, but it's most frustrating to
have a broken machine just when I'm in the mood to read mail :-).

                                               Sanjay
                                               ->|<-
                             Student in the UT Graduate School of Business
DARPA: keshava@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            | Graduation Date:  TBD
CSnet: keshava%ccwf@relay.cs.net             | Greetings to fellow Anteaters,
UUCP:  ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!keshava | Trojans, and Longhorns.