[comp.sys.ibm.pc] cheap at clones - summary

baller@cbnewsi.att.com (eric.h.baller) (07/12/90)

Thank you to all those who responded.
For the people out there considering a cheap clone, here is a summary
of the differing opinions I recieved.
(I posted the mail, but removed the names. Thanks to all)

>Subject: cheap AT clones
>I've seen ads for complete AT systems for less than $1000.
>Has anyone heard (or experienced) anything with these brands or
[several NYC stores named]

Eric Baller
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Holmdel, NJ
ehb@erebus.att.com

----------------------------

My experience with 47th Street has been good. And they usually have people that
can answer your tech questions too. I'd look into a 386 or 386SX as an entry
level machine. You should be able to get a good deal on one (You may want to
look at the Maxum). Hope I helped.

----------------------------

Why don't you try talking to the better business bureau about 47th
street photo, camera world , etc.

If I recall correctly, Camera World recently got in trouble with the
Better Business Bureau.

----------------------------

47St Photo is not a place I would buy a computer, just my own personal
view I guess.  Here's why.... One time I needed a printer, so I looked
in the newpaper (NYTimes) and found some thing pretty cheap at that
place.  So I drove up NY from NJ, anyway, the place looks pretty bad
and the things they carry are (for the most part) some what old (by
old I mean a little outdated)  sort of like Crazy Eddy.  You're better
off buying a computer at a computer store or some.  I've seen ATw/40MB
HD prices go for ~$800 in a Chinese newspaper call World Journal I think.
The thing's in NY.  Their prices beats Computer Shopper and every thing's
in stores.  Gee... I think I went beyond my call of duty here............

----------------------------

Hopefully this won't be considered an ad, but I would just like to say
that if you are interested, I will give you the best prices I can.  I
am a dealer, and only sell to average people, and don't mark up the normal
50% (usually more like 10%).  Mail me what you are interested in, and
I will get you a quote the next day (or sooner depending on mail delivery).

----------------------------

I mail ordered a printer from Harmony computers and had no troubles.  Of
course, if the printer was defective then I would have had to send it back,
and I don't know how much trouble I would have had with them.

The three companies you mention all make quite reputable products, so I don't
think that you'll get stuck with a lemon with any of them.  I've used a
friend's older Epson Equity I, and found it to be a reliable machine.  A
friend with a NEC portable swears by it.  (And of course they both make
great printers.)

I hope that this is helpful.

----------------------------

Many years ago I called up 47th St. Photo to get prices on some
photographic equipment.  I went there to get it, and only after I left
realized they'd charged me different, higher prices.  Scummy.

----------------------------

	My $.02 - get a 386sx, a little more money and
	*alot* more machine. I'm a consumer the same as you
	except I buy lots of PC's.

	Use VISA if you can when buying, it'll extend the warranty
	and give you a 'buffer' if there's a problem.

	A 16 meg 80386sx w/ 1meg RAM, 14" flatscreen mono monitor,
	101 keyboard, and the rest should be about $930. Add $320
	for a hard disk. Get a 1:1 hard disk/floppy controller.
	And a 14" monitor.

	Good luck!