[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Questions about Sound Blaster

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (06/30/90)

I just have a few questions about the Sound Blaster.

* Can you hook up two joysticks to the Sound Blaster?
* Do I have to load up a special driver to get Adlib compatibility?
--
     "Only a fool argues        ??? UUCP Explosion Path:
       with his doctor."        ?:? ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac! \

popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) (07/01/90)

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:

>I just have a few questions about the Sound Blaster.

>* Can you hook up two joysticks to the Sound Blaster?
No, but you can disable the joystick port and put in a seperate joystick
card.

>* Do I have to load up a special driver to get Adlib compatibility?
No, at least not for games. I only know of one program that specifically
requires you to load a sound driver, and that is the playrol program
(plays .rol files).

--
 731 Moro			popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
 Manhattan, KS 66502		popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu

dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) (07/11/90)

I would like to add what I consider a very important question to the list
of CMS questions:  How dependent on RAM is the digitizing section of the
board?  I have only a 640K machine, and I want to be able to sample at
least a few seconds of data for various sound effects.  Can I do this?
Do I need to keep my sounds in memory or do they get sent off to hard disk?
Should I just scrap the deal and wait till I get a 2meg 286?

DDM

huffman@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Huffman) (07/12/90)

In article <13958@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
>I would like to add what I consider a very important question to the list
>of CMS questions:  How dependent on RAM is the digitizing section of the
>board?  I have only a 640K machine, and I want to be able to sample at
>least a few seconds of data for various sound effects.  Can I do this?
>Do I need to keep my sounds in memory or do they get sent off to hard disk?
>Should I just scrap the deal and wait till I get a 2meg 286?

The sampling rates on the Sound Blaster you can choose from
are 4000 to about 12000 per
second.  Each sample takes 1 byte.  At 8000/sec it has very good
quality.  6000 sounds almost as good.  You should be able to sample
over 30 seconds easy.  After recording you can compress the data and
write it out to disk.  There is a utility that will combine sound
files.  Another utility can be called by a batch control string (for
example) and "play" a sound file.

I don't think the program uses extended or expanded memory, so the
extra memory probably wouldn't help much.

zech@leadsv.UUCP (Bill Zech) (07/12/90)

In article <13958@wpi.wpi.edu> dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu (Duane D Morin) writes:
>I would like to add what I consider a very important question to the list
>of CMS questions:  How dependent on RAM is the digitizing section of the
>board?  I have only a 640K machine, and I want to be able to sample at
>least a few seconds of data for various sound effects.  Can I do this?
>Do I need to keep my sounds in memory or do they get sent off to hard disk?
>Should I just scrap the deal and wait till I get a 2meg 286?
>
>DDM

The Sound Blaster uses a DMA channel to drive the DSP chip.  DMA
is simplest when it talks to RAM below the one meg line, so a
640K system is fine.

DMA is transfered in blocks up to 64K.  That's about 64,000 samples
at 8-bit resolution, more if you have compressed the data using
the ADPCM (?) compression the SB suports in its DSP chip.  Lots
of digital sound files sound OK at about 11,000 samples/sec
(you can vary the speed, of course), so
one full size DMA block can give you about 5-6 seconds.  When an
end of DMA transfer is detected by the DSP chip, it can interrupt
the PC on one of 4 IRQ lines.  The PC software (VOXKIT, etc.) may
then reprogram the DMA controller to transfer starting with a new
block.  This can be done as often as you have memory and/or can
fill it.

The SB and DMA channel do not support double buffering (ping-pong,
if you will), so at the end of each block you will experience a
small glitch while you start up the next block.  In practice, I
have not found this to be noticable.

Note that the IRQ line is only used in conjunction with the DSP
chip.  It is *not* used in playing music with either the Adlib
or CMS music channels.

I have converted various sound files from the MAC world to .VOC
files for the SB, and they sound fine.  There are quite a few located
on CIS.  For a variety of music files, sound effects, lines from
movies and TV programs, try the MACFUN forum on CIS, and also
check the IBMNEW/music forum on CIS.  There is lots of stuff there.
I got a bunch this morning.

- Bill
CIS 73547,1034