[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS Word 5.0 and lists

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (07/11/90)

Does anyone know of an easy way to produce "bullet"
or "dash" lists in MS Word 5.0?

[I'm from the nroff/troff world where you just

	.BL
	.LI
	item 1
	.LI
	item 2
	.LI
	item 3
	.LE

Its visually ugly, but trivially simply to build
(nested) lists in documents.]

Thanks, in advance!

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

pault@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Taira) (07/11/90)

>/ hpspdra:comp.sys.ibm.pc / bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) / 10:12 am  Jul 10, 1990 /
>Does anyone know of an easy way to produce "bullet"
>or "dash" lists in MS Word 5.0?
>
>[I'm from the nroff/troff world where you just
>
>	.BL
>	.LI
>	item 1
>	.LI
>	item 2
>	.LI
>	item 3
>	.LE

  There are several steps which I use to produce a bullet list
  with MS Word.

     1) Define you paragraph formatting:
        Left Indent       =  1.0" (try current left indent + 1.0")
        First line indent = -0.5"
        Right Indent      =  1.0" (optional)

        This will let the first line of each paragraph hang out 0.5" to the
        left of the remainder of the paragraph.  Adjust to taste (sort of like
        salt & pepper to taste).

     2) Set a tab setting at 1.0"  (this should be the same as the Left Indent)

     3) To produce a bullet (for the IBM Extended character set) I use
        Alt-254.  Hold down the alt key and press "2" "5" "4" on the key
        pad then release the alt key.  This will produce a small square
        which we will use as a bullet.

     4) After entering the Alt-254, press tab and start typing in the
        information required for that bullet.  If you press return, you
        will be ready to insert a bullet and new information.  You will not
        need to redefine the paragraph formatting a second time.

     5) Hint: I use alt F7 to display the character spacing which producing
        a bullet list.

        Hint2: I would recommend that you add the bullet list in as a style
        sheet so that you will not need to go through the hassle again.

        Note: The ASCII code for the bullet might vary with different
        printers and character sets.  Check you printer reference manual for
        details.

  Have Fun,

  Paul Taira

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/11/90)

In article <11810@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W.
Mohler) writes:

>Does anyone know of an easy way to produce "bullet" or "dash" lists in
>MS Word 5.0?

>   [I'm from the nroff/troff world where you just

>	   .BL
>	   .LI
>	   item 1
>	   .LI
>	   item 2
>	   .LI
>	   item 3
>	   .LE

Word 5.0 doesn't have anything built in to do lists like TROFF.  You
can create them manually by typing each item as a seperate paragraph
with 0 lines before and after.  Then if you put the cursor on column 1
of each list item, hold down the ALT key, type 249 or 250 (this
depends on the font you've chosen and the printer you use), and
release the ALT key, you'll have your bullet.  Hit a tab and the text
indents.

It's not as automatic as TROFF, but it works.

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

brian@53eng1.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Brian W. Gamble) (07/12/90)

In article <DSAMPSON.90Jul11120811@x102a.harris-atd.com>
>In article <11810@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W.
>Mohler) writes:
>

>>Does anyone know of an easy way to produce "bullet" or "dash" lists in
>>MS Word 5.0?
>
>>   [I'm from the nroff/troff world where you just
>
>>	   .BL
>>	   .LI
>>	   item 1
>>	   .LI
>>	   item 2
>>	   .LI
>>	   item 3
>>	   .LE
>
>Word 5.0 doesn't have anything built in to do lists like TROFF.  You
>can create them manually by typing each item as a seperate paragraph
>with 0 lines before and after.  Then if you put the cursor on column 1
>of each list item, hold down the ALT key, type 249 or 250 (this
>depends on the font you've chosen and the printer you use), and
>release the ALT key, you'll have your bullet.  Hit a tab and the text
>indents.
>
>It's not as automatic as TROFF, but it works.

Two cents worth from north of the border:

The advise on how to set up a hanging indent and hang a special character
on a tab is right on, although I think my version likes a leading zero in
the character code. Try a Dingbats "l" in 7 pt for major round bullets or
5 pt for minor round bullets.

Cheap trick follows:

Name the major bullet style somehing like "B1". Now add a simple macro to
the glossary that inserts the special character (pre formatted with font and
pt size), then a tab, then calls the Alt B 1 to apply the style tag. Call the
macro Control B 1. Ours has additional smarts to go to the start of paragraph,
then insert the text. Ours also centers the bullet on a tab stop, but that's
just window dressing.

Having written NROFF macros, I found writing Word 5.0 macros bloody simple.
Using them is even better; just hit three keys for each bullet paragraph,
with the curser anywhere in that paragraph.

Those who need an example of the macro and stylesheet text should send me
EMail with a non-rubber address. Too many requests and I'll post the stuff
instead.

Almost forgot: I don't work for or with Microsoft, just use and like their
products (on the second or subsequent release!).

pentch@milton.u.washington.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (07/12/90)

>>Does anyone know of an easy way to produce "bullet" or "dash" lists in
>>MS Word 5.0?
>
>Word 5.0 doesn't have anything built in to do lists like TROFF.  You
>can create them manually by typing each item as a seperate paragraph
>with 0 lines before and after.  Then if you put the cursor on column 1
>of each list item, hold down the ALT key, type 249 or 250 (this
>depends on the font you've chosen and the printer you use), and
>release the ALT key, you'll have your bullet.  Hit a tab and the text
>indents.

Note that you can ease this process by having a glossary entry named
"bullet" (or some such) which consists of the bullet character.  To
create such an entry, do the following:
1) Generate a bullet character in the text by holding down the ALT key
	and typing 249 or 250 on the keypad (while holding down ALT!).
2) Put the cursor on top of the bullet.
3) Press: ESC Copy
4) Fill in the glossary name for your bullet (e.g. "bullet"), then
	press RETURN.
5) From then on, just type "bullet", then press F3 and you'll get a
	bullet in your text.

-Dean

--
Dean Pentcheff  (pentch@u.washington.edu)
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720