[comp.sys.ibm.pc] "Meta-macros" in Procomm

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (07/11/90)

  Quite often I've got to transfer files between a PC and a UNIX-based
SUN. Usually, I use the Kermit protocol in Procomm+ and one thing
really bugs me. Kermit uses N8-settings, while the UNIX-connection is
based on E7 - this means, that Kermit doesn't work under the same
conditions as the normal connection.

  To get around this, I've got to change the settings in Procomm from E7
to N8 after issuing the remote (on SUN) Kermit-command and before
activating the download-command (on the PC) and afterwards, I've got
to change it back to E7.

  Since nobody I've spoken to knows of any way of reconfiguring
Kermit, I thought of making a macro in Procomm+ to do the Alt-P,
Alt-E, Esc, PgDn, 2 sequence needed to download ... *but*; Procomm+
(of course) won't let me use it's special keys (like Alt-P) in a macro :-(

  So, what am I to do? Is it possible to change Kermit's behaviour? Is
is possible to make the macro otherwise, perhaps by means of some
fancy TSR that I don't know of (;-) ?

  Any ideas are very much appreciated.

--
/Richard Flamsholt
richard@iesd.auc.dk

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (07/11/90)

In article <RICHARD.90Jul11144552@banach.iesd.auc.dk> richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) writes:

>  Quite often I've got to transfer files between a PC and a UNIX-based
>SUN. Usually, I use the Kermit protocol in Procomm+ and one thing
>really bugs me. Kermit uses N8-settings, while the UNIX-connection is
>based on E7 - this means, that Kermit doesn't work under the same

This is perhaps not exactly what you are asking for, but might be of
some use: Another alternative is using Kermit terminal emulation
instead of Procomm for the transfer because then you can utilize
long packets (1000 instead of 94).  Or you might consider using an
external protocol in Procomm (z-modem, because it is available for
both ends).  Still another option is using z-modem from Telix
terminal emulation because it is inbuilt in Telix.  I know from my
own experience with a Unix Sun 4 and a PC that using Procomm(+)
kermit file transfers between a Unix system and a PC is one of the
weakest available alternatives, anyway.  If you have a choice,
consider the others.

There is quite a number of utilities and information for these
alternatives at the anonymous ftp site chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland.  Look eg for Telix and MsKermit in the /pc/pd2 directory,
and Mskermit and Procomm utilities and advice in the /pc/ts
directory.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

mregeste@amo.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) (07/12/90)

In article <RICHARD.90Jul11144552@banach.iesd.auc.dk> richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) writes:

>  Since nobody I've spoken to knows of any way of reconfiguring
>Kermit, I thought of making a macro in Procomm+ to do the Alt-P,
>Alt-E, Esc, PgDn, 2 sequence needed to download ... *but*; Procomm+
>(of course) won't let me use it's special keys (like Alt-P) in a macro :-(

With Procomm+, you can execute Procomm+ command language commands
remotely.  See page 200 of the manual for a discussion.

In your case, you would send the commands to change the communication
parameters to 7-EVEN-1 then tell Procomm+ to prepare for a Kermit
file transfer.

Below is part of a script we use to transfer files from the PC to
our Towers.

  echo "\033^sendfile kermit \"$3\"\r\c" # tell procomm what to send
  if [ $1 = "-i" ]                       # check transfer type
  then
    kermit -ra $2                        # receive with kermit - text
  else
    kermit -ira $2                       # receive with kermit - binary
  fi

--
Mark Regester Information Systems & Services, NCR Peripheral Products Division
 NCR:654-8340 <M.Regester@Wichita.NCR.COM>