[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP PLEASE-SOUND BLASTER??

curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) (07/11/90)

Can anyone tell me what com ports the sound blaster uses.  I have
a modem in port 1 and a mouse in port 2, I have another port open
but I think it is either 3 or 4.  Can I set the sound blaster up
in either one of these ports or will I have to move something
(ie. modem or mouse).  Thanks for you help and I look forward
to getting a SB as soon as I have the funds.  :-)

srn@cbnewsk.att.com (s.r.neal) (07/11/90)

The sound blaster requires an IRQ channel to be dedicated. If you're com
ports are being used, there are other channels that are available. (I'm
not sure off the top of my head how they're dedicated). You shouldn't
have any problems, though.

parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) (07/11/90)

I believe sound blaster has it's own port.   Are you really asking about the
IRQ levels ??   If so, there are 4 to pick from.

Bill Parke 			parke%star.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke
Digital Equipment Corp		parke@star.enet.dec.com
110 Spit Brook Road ZK01-1/F22, Nashua NH 03063

The views expressed are my own.

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/2100000) (07/11/90)

In article <848@uncw.UUCP>, curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) writes:
Mike> Can anyone tell me what com ports the sound blaster uses.  I have
Mike> a modem in port 1 and a mouse in port 2, I have another port open
Mike> but I think it is either 3 or 4.  Can I set the sound blaster up
Mike> in either one of these ports or will I have to move something
Mike> (ie. modem or mouse).  Thanks for you help and I look forward
Mike> to getting a SB as soon as I have the funds.  :-)

The Sound Blaster is a card and doesn't take up any COM ports. I think
mike is confusing the fact that the interrupt used may be conflicting
with one of the higher com ports. Anyway, I have the same
configuration as Mike (com1 and com2 used), and the Sound Blaster
works just great for.

							Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort              woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

popeye@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) (07/12/90)

curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what com ports the sound blaster uses.  I have
>a modem in port 1 and a mouse in port 2, I have another port open
>but I think it is either 3 or 4.  Can I set the sound blaster up
>in either one of these ports or will I have to move something
>(ie. modem or mouse).  Thanks for you help and I look forward
>to getting a SB as soon as I have the funds.  :-)

The Sound Blaster does not use a com port as such, but it does need
to be configured so the interupt it uses does not conflict with the
ones used by your mouse, modem etc...

In fact you are given like about six choices on the desired interupt.
Most users should have no problem finding a configuration that works.

--
 731 Moro			popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
 Manhattan, KS 66502		popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (07/12/90)

In article <269BB423.2B00@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> popeye@doc.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) writes:
>curtism@uncw.UUCP (mike curtis) writes:
>
>>Can anyone tell me what com ports the sound blaster uses.  I have
>>a modem in port 1 and a mouse in port 2, I have another port open
>>but I think it is either 3 or 4.  Can I set the sound blaster up
>>in either one of these ports or will I have to move something
>>(ie. modem or mouse).  Thanks for you help and I look forward
>>to getting a SB as soon as I have the funds.  :-)
>
>The Sound Blaster does not use a com port as such, but it does need
>to be configured so the interupt it uses does not conflict with the
>ones used by your mouse, modem etc...

Okay, I bought a sound board, and just before I put it in, I set the
IRQ to 7.  This is because I have two COM ports, but I wasn't sure
whether or not the SB would conflict with COM2.  When I run VOXKIT,
I get an interrupt error, even though I installed the CT-VOICE.DRV.

So what should I set the IRQ to and how do I get VOXKIT to work?

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (07/12/90)

>Okay, I bought a sound board, and just before I put it in, I set the
>IRQ to 7.  This is because I have two COM ports, but I wasn't sure
>whether or not the SB would conflict with COM2.  When I run VOXKIT,
>I get an interrupt error, even though I installed the CT-VOICE.DRV.
>
>So what should I set the IRQ to and how do I get VOXKIT to work?

There are programs around that tell you what IRQ lines are in use
already. The simplest way is trial and error. Set an IRQ line
in the Sound Blaster card and see if Voxkit works. Since there
are not that many IRQ lines to begin with, this procedure does not take
much time. That's how I set up my card.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow