[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview and Windows

mitchell@community-chest.uucp (George Mitchell) (07/07/90)

I am seeking opinions on the following three configurations:
  - Windows 3.0
  - Deskview 2.3
  - Desqview AND Windows
The target environment will (probably) be 386SX w/ 2M RAM, VGA, mouse,
1.2M & 1.44M floppies, 40M HD, and internal modem.  In particular what
are the pros and cons with respect to:

1. Documentation
2. Ease of installation/administration
3. Ease of learning
4. Ease of use
5. Predicted stability (Are there major changes coming soon,
     e.g., Motif compatible Windows?)
5. Demands on resources
6. [other considerations]

Which version of MS/DOS is recommended for each configuration?
--
George Mitchell, MITRE, MS Z676, 7525 Colshire Dr, McLean, VA  22102
email: gmitchel@mitre.org  [alt: mitchell@community-chest.mitre.org]

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (07/08/90)

In article <112649@linus.mitre.org>, mitchell@community-chest.uucp (George Mitchell) writes:
> I am seeking opinions on the following three configurations:
>   - Windows 3.0
>   - Deskview 2.3
>   - Desqview AND Windows
> The target environment will (probably) be 386SX w/ 2M RAM, VGA, mouse,
> 1.2M & 1.44M floppies, 40M HD, and internal modem.  In particular what
> are the pros and cons with respect to:
>
> 1. Documentation.

Windows documentation is more user oriented and DV's is more technically
oriented.  (I prefer DV, but I'm a techie)  DV tech support (phone,
FAX, BBS) are fairly notorious for being very crowded and thus frustrating.
I've no experience with MSoft tech support.

> 2. Ease of installation/administration

DV can be quite a problem to install, especially in a LAN or other
environment that has a lot of drivers.  On the other hand, it is very
flexible: you have access to just about every tuning parameter thinkable.
Windows is much easier to install, but much less flexible.  If it knows
about your LAN, everything's okay, if it doesn't, it just refuses to load.
Not many parameters are available for tweaking, and the documentation doesn't
go into enough detail on how it works to figure out if it needs tweaking or
not.  Basically, Windows is an out-of-the-box application.  DV is not.

> 3. Ease of learning

Not much to learn with either one.

> 4. Ease of use

Not much here either.  Windows complains a lot more than DV, and refuses to
run some apps (notably Borland's Compilers).  DV doesn't complain as much,
but it seems to lock up a little more.  (I've not had a lot of trouble with
either of these locking up).

> 5. Predicted stability (Are there major changes coming soon,
>      e.g., Motif compatible Windows?)

Motif and Open Look compatible Desqview has been announced for later this
year.  Haven't heard anything on the
Windows side, other than a smooth path to OS/2 2+.  (The OS/2 2+ kernel
is supposed to be able to run Windows apps).

> 5. Demands on resources

Windows seems to be more of a resource hog.  I haven't done any formal testing,
that's just my observation.

> 6. [other considerations]

Well, DV lets you hold onto character mode for a little longer.  Does anyone
know if it is possible to write a character mode application that makes use
of other Windows features (such as interprocess communication and
multitasking) but avoiding the painful transition to GUI?  It seems the
answer is no, but I can't see a good reason why not.

I have both DV and Windows 3.0.  I was real impressed by Windows when I got
it, it is gorgeous.  But I went back to DV because I can do the things I
do easier and faster, and I have more control over my environment.

Hope my observations are helpful.

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."

lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (david lu) (07/08/90)

In article <6683@ozdaltx.UUCP> doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) writes:
>In article <112649@linus.mitre.org>, mitchell@community-chest.uucp (George Mitchell) writes:
>
>Not much here either.  Windows complains a lot more than DV, and refuses to
>run some apps (notably Borland's Compilers).  DV doesn't complain as much,
		^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Is this really true?  I was thinking about getting Windows,
but if it really won't work with Borland's compilers, then maybe not.
Maybe this is a marketing strategy on MS's part against BI (:-) ?

--
---==lulu@ucrmath==---  just another bewildered college undergraduate.
David T Lu, Amateur Thinker: lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu, {ucsd, uci}!ucrmath!lulu

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/08/90)

I think what was meant is that Borland's compilers cannot yet produce code for
windows applications. You can run all Borland products as a Dos program under
win3, and run any program created by Borland compilers also as Dos programs
under Win3.

Milan
.

lulu@ucr.edu (david lu) (07/09/90)

In article <46500138@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I think what was meant is that Borland's compilers cannot yet produce code for
>windows applications. You can run all Borland products as a Dos program under
>win3, and run any program created by Borland compilers also as Dos programs
>under Win3.

Does this include Turbo Debugger as well?  *That* would be something!

--

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (07/09/90)

In article <7474@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, lulu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (david lu) writes:
> In article <6683@ozdaltx.UUCP> doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) writes:
> >Not much here either.  Windows complains a lot more than DV, and refuses to
> >run some apps (notably Borland's Compilers).  DV doesn't complain as much,
> 		^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	Is this really true?  I was thinking about getting Windows,
> but if it really won't work with Borland's compilers, then maybe not.

When trying to start either Turbo Pascal 5.5 or Turbo C 2.0, Windows issues
a "Program has violated system integrity" or some equally snippy message and
refuses to run it.  I have heard from other people who have successfully
run TP under Windows, but I have not been able to duplicate their success.
I'm still trying.  --  BTW, I haven't tried Turbo C++ 1.0 under Windows yet.

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."

doug@ozdaltx.UUCP (Doug Matlock) (07/09/90)

In article <46500138@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I think what was meant is that Borland's compilers cannot yet produce code for
> windows applications. You can run all Borland products as a Dos program under
> win3, and run any program created by Borland compilers also as Dos programs
> under Win3.

No, that is not at all what I meant.  The install procedure for Windows
does recognize that Turbo Pascal (but not C) is on my hard disk, and
generates what it thinks is an appropriate PIF file and makes an icon
under "Non-Windows Apps" for it.  However, if I try to run either
compiler, Windows tells me that "system integrity has been violated"
and returns to the Windows environment.  Much tweaking of parameters
has not fixed this problem.

--
Doug.

"If you want Peace, work for Justice."

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/10/90)

Windows 3.0 works great with Turbo C++

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (07/10/90)

[I tried to reply by mail but our mailer couldn't figure out where
community-chest was on the network.  Anyway...]

<mitchell@community-chest.uucp> writes...

>I am seeking opinions on the following three configurations:
>  - Deskview 2.3

I assume here you mean DESQview 386, which is both DESQview (the task
manager) and QEMM 5.0 which is the memory manager.  You'll want QEMM to make
the most use of the program.

>1. Documentation

Quarterdeck documentation is less than adequate.  Organization is terrible.
If you have absolutely no hacker in you at all, beware.

>2. Ease of installation/administration

I found installation relatively painless.  Tuning (optimization) is another
story, but isn't necessary in most cases.

>3. Ease of learning

Program is a cinch to learn.  In fact, though it's mouse driven, I find the
keyboard easier for some functions (opening and switching windows, for
example).

>4. Ease of use

See 3. above.

>5. Predicted stability (Are there major changes coming soon,
>     e.g., Motif compatible Windows?)

Rumor is an Motif/X-windows version of DESQview by the end of the year.

>5. Demands on resources

Demands, what demands? With QEMM installed in a 2 MB system (-384KB for a
disk cache, and assorted other stuff for DOS, etc.), I have about 1 meg
available to run programs in.  This means I can open up a couple of 512K
programs at the same time.  The disk is only used to swap programs out of
memory that can and need to be swapped out (my communications tasks aren't
allowed to swap).  The whole package took under 1 MB of disk space once
installed.

>6. [other considerations]
>
>Which version of MS/DOS is recommended for each configuration?

I am running v4.01 and haven't had any problems.  Don't know about other
versions.

Hope this helps, George.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (07/13/90)

In article <13233@shlump.nac.dec.com>, reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

> >5. Predicted stability (Are there major changes coming soon,
> >     e.g., Motif compatible Windows?)
>
> Rumor is an Motif/X-windows version of DESQview by the end of the year.

	No rumor. They were showing it at PC Expo. It was called
Desqview-X. Maybe the timetable is a rumor, but they were saying
September.
	I wish they would put out an interim product that does the popups
in graphics mode, so it doesn't screw up some VGA screens in background
temporarily (it screws up, it restores when the window goes back to
active. Ugly, but nothing serious.)

> >5. Demands on resources

	Comparing my system without QEMM (optimized) to an optimized
configuration with a Desqview Window, the system overhead of Desqview on
my system came to -23Kb (that's negative 23K - 23K more than I had
without it - the amount that LOADHI'd exceeded the program size by that
amount.  I heard MS Windows takes up to 80K and doesn't LOADHI, so
Windows can be stuck with 440K unless they are tailored (rewritten)
to take advantage of Windows memory management.
~.

of Windows memory
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 5.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine