[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Your PC as Cognitive Therapist

cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (06/30/90)

I'd like to announce to Usenet a program for the IBM PC
and compatibles. It is called "Overcoming Depression."
This program implements a cognitive therapist who
specializes in treating low feelings and trying to get
you to become your own therapeutic agent.

The program has a sophisticated natural language parser
that lets you "talk" with the therapist. Inbetween you
are given lesson on material on the subject.

The program was designed by Professor Dr. Ken Colby.
People who have some roots in the A.I. field will recognize
Colby as a graduate of the Yale School of Medicine, and as
the creator of the famous "PARRY" program -- a program that
modeled/simulated paranoid thought processes.

    Stuart

mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary Winters) (06/30/90)

In article <9302@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> cracraft@ai.mit.edu writes:

>I'd like to announce to Usenet a program for the IBM PC
>and compatibles. It is called "Overcoming Depression."
>This program implements a cognitive therapist who
>specializes in treating low feelings and trying to get
>you to become your own therapeutic agent.

Sounds interesting. One little question: where does one obtain it? Your post
neglected to include any availability information.

--
uv@f69.n233.z1.fidonet.org
Suffering from PMS (Presentation Manager Syndrome)

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/01/90)

In article <9302@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu>, cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:

> I'd like to announce to Usenet a program for the IBM PC
> and compatibles. It is called "Overcoming Depression."
> This program implements a cognitive therapist who
> specializes in treating low feelings and trying to get
> you to become your own therapeutic agent.
>     Stuart
Do you know how to contact the author?  Does he have a usenet address?
do you know where one can obtain a copy of the program and more information
on PARRY?  If so, I think some others as well as myself would appreciate
your posting the information.

If possibly convenient, could you respond to me by mail? This machine
expires messages very quickly and I am not always able to keep up with
the postings.  Thanks.

-- cj   !uunet!beartrk.beartrack.com!cjp    cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (07/05/90)

In article <9302@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu>, cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:

> I'd like to announce to Usenet a program for the IBM PC
> and compatibles. It is called "Overcoming Depression."

So what's the scoop on availability?

> The program was designed by Professor Dr. Ken Colby.
> People who have some roots in the A.I. field will recognize
> Colby as a graduate of the Yale School of Medicine, and as
> the creator of the famous "PARRY" program -- a program that
> modeled/simulated paranoid thought processes.

I remember a famous and funny article in DATAMATION, a few lifetimes ago, around
1970, in which PARRY was hooked up with THE DOCTOR, an 'eliza' variant.  This
pair came fairly close to passing the 'turing test', which I suspect has fallen
somewhat by the wayside among current A.I. practitioners.

Mike Nolan
"Don't look back, someone might be gaining on you"
--Satchel Paige, famous member of the paranoid ballplayers Hall of Fame

martin@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (david l. martin) (07/09/90)

In article <1708@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>In article <9302@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu>, cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
>
>I remember a famous and funny article in DATAMATION, a few lifetimes ago, around
>1970, in which PARRY was hooked up with THE DOCTOR, an 'eliza' variant.  This
>pair came fairly close to passing the 'turing test', which I suspect has fallen
>somewhat by the wayside among current A.I. practitioners.

Does anyone happen to have the precise citation for this article?  If so,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Martin

sire@PacBell.COM (Sheldon Rothenburg) (07/13/90)

In article <9302@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu>, cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:

> I'd like to announce to Usenet a program for the IBM PC
> and compatibles. It is called "Overcoming Depression."
>
> The program has a sophisticated natural language parser
> that lets you "talk" with the therapist. Inbetween you
> are given lesson on material on the subject.
>
> The program was designed by Professor Dr. Ken Colby.

Sounds interesting. Is this a commercial product or available through
FTP? Is it being used anywhere?

Thanks.