[comp.sys.ibm.pc] lze file compressor,produces optimized executables???

v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Anthony M Petro) (07/11/90)

i recently read this in Robert X. Cringely's Infoworld article:
(quoted w/o permission)

"...there is a freeware utility floating around called LZE....
[it] pulls empty space out of EXE and COM files, and changes COM to
EXE.  Typical space savings is 30 to 45 percent, and execution speeds can
nearly double, because the smaller files are still executable.  Dbase III+
screams after it has been LZE'd...."

it goes on to say that this product is copyrighted freeware, "which means
that anyone can use LZE but no one can sell it."

if this is real, it sounds like quite a breakthrough.  has anyone seen it
up for ftp, or in any other pd source?

anthony m. petro   "beethoven"    i can say what i want; i'm just an undergrad
V118HJ3D@UBVMSD.BITNET            "soon the gypsy queen in a glaze of Vaseline
petro@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu         will perform on guillotine; what a scene,
..!uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!petro   what a scene..."

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/11/90)

<
<if this is real, it sounds like quite a breakthrough.  has anyone seen it
<up for ftp, or in any other pd source?

A nice program indeed.  It is available for ftp/email from simtel20.
There is even an "English" version there now too, for those who cannot
understand French.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord______________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | These are my opinions only.|

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (07/12/90)

In article <30358@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU< v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
<"...there is a freeware utility floating around called LZE....
<[it] pulls empty space out of EXE and COM files, and changes COM to

Yes, it does file compression, but it doesn't (can't) make your executables
run faster.  LZEXE compresses a file and saves it to disk.  It also tacks on
a file de-compressor which is run at load time to de-compress the file.  If
you have a slow disk drive, then the program will load faster, because you
won't have to do as much disk I/O when you load the program.  If you have a
slow machine and a fast drive, however, it could take *longer* to load the
program, if the act of uncompressing the file is slower than loading the
file.

It is a useful program.  It only saves disk space, not execution time.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

markj@infmx.UUCP (Mark Jeske) (07/12/90)

In article <30358@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>i recently read this in Robert X. Cringely's Infoworld article:
>(quoted w/o permission)
>
>"...there is a freeware utility floating around called LZE....
>[it] pulls empty space out of EXE and COM files, and changes COM to
>EXE.

It's on the genie information service page 616.  It works great! I've
saved about 40% average on all my executables, and many of them seem to
load faster.

mark jeske
Informix Software
markj@infmx.com

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (07/12/90)

In article <30358@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>i recently read this in Robert X. Cringely's Infoworld article:
>(quoted w/o permission)
>
>"...there is a freeware utility floating around called LZE....
>[it] pulls empty space out of EXE and COM files, and changes COM to
>EXE.  Typical space savings is 30 to 45 percent, and execution speeds can
>nearly double, because the smaller files are still executable.  Dbase III+
>screams after it has been LZE'd...."

I must say that Cringely made me cringe when I read that. Of course the
programs will LOAD quicker but I think it is stretching it to say that
they run faster. Lets face it, they are just being read off the disk
faster because the file is smaller and the decompression is quick. It
can not have an effect upon the actual speed of the code.

I have used this program and reduced WordPerfect 5.1 from ~350K to ~180K
or so. This might be useful for people trying to fit it onto a laptop.

I would reccomend getting LZESHELL which is a front end that lets
non-French speaking people understand what is going on.

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

jrwsnsr@nmt.edu (Jonathan R. Watts) (07/13/90)

LZEXE is great!  On an almost full 32 Meg hard drive, I went from 1 1/2
Megs free to 4 1/2 Megs free just by compressing everything I could!

Now if only I could make those programs compress and decompress their
data....

  - Jonathan Watts

jrwsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu (Internet address)