[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Historical Dates for PC's Needed

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/12/90)

[The following is a repost of an article which seems to have failed to
leave my site.  My apologies if you get two copies.]

I need to get some historical dates for the introduction of PC technology.
Please correct my list:

PC - 1980 or so
AT - 1984?
PS/2 - 1987

8086 - 1978 or 79
286 - 1983?
386 - 1985? 86?
486 - April 89

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (07/13/90)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

>I need to get some historical dates for the introduction of PC technology.
>Please correct my list:

>PC - 1980 or so
>AT - 1984?
>PS/2 - 1987
>
>8086 - 1978 or 79

1978

>286 - 1983?
>386 - 1985? 86?

1985

>486 - April 89

This is from a relatively current (1990) textbook on computer architecture
entitled _Computer Organization and Architecture_ Second Edition by William
Stallings, PhD published by Macmillan (New York).

In the References section, a valuable source for information on
microprocessors may be: Gupta, A, and Toong, H.  "Microprocessors - The First
Twelve Years."  /Proceedings of the IEEE/, November 1983.

Sorry I can't fill out or confirm more of your date list but the two up there
are the only ones the text specifically mentions.  If you want more sources,
I can dig them out of the References section.  Send mail.

Dwight A Lee / 416 Annie Glidden Rd #B6 / DeKalb IL 60115 / 815-758-1389
lee@chsun.uchicago.edu / "I am not the only dust my mother raised" - TMBG
I speak only for myself. / tCS/BB / Font

geiser@apollo.HP.COM (Wayne Geiser) (07/13/90)

In article <31653@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert
Thorson) writes:
|> [The following is a repost of an article which seems to have failed to
|> leave my site.  My apologies if you get two copies.]
|>
|> I need to get some historical dates for the introduction of PC technology.
|> Please correct my list:
|>
|> PC - 1980 or so

August 14, 1981

|> AT - 1984?
|> PS/2 - 1987
|>
|> 8086 - 1978 or 79
|> 286 - 1983?
|> 386 - 1985? 86?
|> 486 - April 89

Sorry I can't fill in more.

Wayne Geiser
Apollo Computer, Inc. - A subsidiary of Hewlett Packard
geiser@apollo.hp.com

"Talk lives in the head.  If there is nothing else there to keep it
 company, talk becomes lonely, and escapes through the mouth."

        - East African proverb