[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MNP Emulation?

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (07/10/90)

I seem to recall seeing a conversation about MNP emulation through
software.  Has anybody out there heard of such a thing?  PD preferred,
but commercial is acceptable.

-Thanks.

sorber@motcid.UUCP (Russell C. Sorber) (07/12/90)

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) writes:

>I seem to recall seeing a conversation about MNP emulation through
>software.  Has anybody out there heard of such a thing?  PD preferred,
>but commercial is acceptable.

>-Thanks.

Try Magicsoft, Inc. in Lombard, IL.  The MNP5 software product is not
free, but is is certainly cheaper than buying a faster modem, and
it can double the speed (assuming you have MNP5 at both ends).

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (07/14/90)

In article <3987@feldspar19.UUCP> sorber@motcid.UUCP (Russell C. Sorber) writes:
$bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) writes:
$>I seem to recall seeing a conversation about MNP emulation through
$>software.  Has anybody out there heard of such a thing?  PD preferred,
$>but commercial is acceptable.

   In fact, such a discussion happened about 10-14 days ago ...

$Try Magicsoft, Inc. in Lombard, IL.  The MNP5 software product is not
$free, but is is certainly cheaper than buying a faster modem, and
$it can double the speed (assuming you have MNP5 at both ends).

   I received a copy of FlashLink, Magicsoft's MNP+terminal software,
bundled with my Cardinal Technologies 2400 bps modem.  I've used it for
almost a year now and here's what I'd recommend:

- use it only if you absolutely require MNP.  It supports only one terminal
  emulation (a subset of ANSI), only Xmodem and Ymodem (and variations) for
  file transfer, does not always negotiate the MNP level correctly, does
  not have a script language, and does not provide 100% error-free links.

   I use it when I'm doing newsreading and mail on systems with modems that
support MNP, but due to the incomplete terminal emulation, this can be a
royal pain.  I'd much rather use Telix or Procomm Plus with an MNP modem
if I had such a modem.
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/