[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Coherent, anybody? FORGET IT!

miket@mars.cs.umbc.edu (Mike Taube) (07/08/90)

Well, I've just gotten fed up with Coherent.. Here are just a few reasons why:

        1) uncompress will only work 12bits and below. 99% of the stuff on
           the uunet gateways is compressed with 16bits

        2) the editor will not allow you to edit moderately sized files.. it
           truncates them.. and worse, the version of microemacs is pathetic.
           no c-mode is built in, that is.

        3) the ``scat'' program that comes with coherent is supposed to be
           like the Unix ``more'' program. HA! the Return key scrolls the
           screen, while the Space bar gives you lines at a time. Totally
           opposite ``more''.

        4) A program as small as ``less'', which is like Unix's ``more'', but
           more (pardon the pun), is too LARGE for Coherent.

        5) No csh. For me, no csh implies no real job control, aliases,
           or history

Now tell me, if I can't even compile a file browser program, then how am I
suppposed to build any kind of applications with this? Granted, I understand
that "you get what you pay for", but how can they say that this is comparable
to SCO ???

Mike Taube

MikeT@cs.umbc.edu       MIKET@UMBC2.BITNET
MikeT@umbc5.umbc.edu    ....uunet!umbc3!miket

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/10/90)

miket@mars.cs.umbc.edu (Mike Taube) writes:

>that "you get what you pay for", but how can they say that this is comparable
>to SCO ???

Who is comparing Coherent to real Unix?
            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
 Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 / lots of files & free PEP feeds!

hania@utrcu1.UUCP (Simon Hania) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul09.170251.22863@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Who is comparing Coherent to real Unix?

Please, let's not start discussing what is real Unix here. I suggest we
start comp.os.coherent for such comparisons, linking it to the Internet
discussion list with the same topic.
--
------------+-----------------------
Simon Hania |  Hania@UTwente.NL

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul09.170251.22863@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Who is comparing Coherent to real Unix?

The company that sells Coherent is.  Read their ads!
--
 ___Mark S. Lord______________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | These are my opinions only.|

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/11/90)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

>>Who is comparing Coherent to real Unix?

>The company that sells Coherent is.  Read their ads!

Coherent might be more Unix than say, QNX - but that is about
it.

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
            Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 (multiline)

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (07/14/90)

>miket@mars.cs.umbc.edu (Mike Taube) writes:
>
>Who is comparing Coherent to real Unix?
>--
For all you "Coherent sucks, buy SCO", the 386 kernel for Minix (V7 unix
clone w/src!!!) exists! I don't believe that it has a release version, but
it is at least in alpha or beta test.  It comes with a 32-bit and 16-bit
compiler.  I am sure a port of GCC will follow when the kernel is officially
released.  For back issues of comp.os.minix see bugs.nosc.mil (128.49.16.1)
Every thing you need to know should be there.  Just trying to leave as many
possiblilties open as possible.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |