[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can you speed up an old 6Mhz IBM-AT

JDM@EN-C30.Prime.COM (07/14/90)

From what I read, it should be possible to upgrade a 6mhz XT to 8mhz by
changing the crystal to a 16mhz clock. If you go past 8mhz you tend to
overrrun the system, as normal XT memory is not fast enough (need 120ns
to do it) and unless you have a non-IBM supplied disk and controller,
you'll spend a lot of time waiting around anyway (since XT disks are
not real fast).

Given the cost of new clones, if you really need the speed, you might
consider an inexpensive new clone system. Adding an accel board is
about the same as buying a clone, since you no longer run the same BIOS,
and doesn't save you that much.

Hope this helps. As an aside, I have plans to up my XT to 8mhz.
I have been working on getting a used AT working, but once it is done
I am going to try upgrading the crystal (which I think you can get at
Radio Shack).

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (07/14/90)

In article <1227200017@EN-C30.Prime.COM> JDM@EN-C30.Prime.COM writes:

>From what I read, it should be possible to upgrade a 6mhz XT to 8mhz by
>changing the crystal to a 16mhz clock. If you go past 8mhz you tend to
>overrrun the system, as normal XT memory is not fast enough (need 120ns
>to do it) and unless you have a non-IBM supplied disk and controller,
>you'll spend a lot of time waiting around anyway (since XT disks are
>not real fast).

There's a mixture of AT and XT in the header and body of this article.
An AT uses a 2x crystal so it's a 16MHz crystal to run at 8MHz. An XT
uses a 3x crystal so you need a 24MHz crystal to run at 8MHz.

Mike Ching