[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Emacs For The IBM PC

exl@mace.cc.purdue.edu (The Junkyard DAWG) (07/10/90)

Hi,

  I Have A Few Questions Regarding Emacs For The IBM PC.

  1) First Of All Is It Legal To Download Emacs Source Code To My PC ?

  If The Answer To 1) Is Yes, Then

  2) How Do I Compile It ? The Source Code I Have Is For UNIX(tm) Machines.
    Is There Any ftp Site Which Has Source Code For Emacs On The IBM PC ? Or
    Is There Any Other Kind Of ASCII Editor Available For A PC From A ftp
    Site ?

  3) How Would I Compile The Source Code ? (I Have Turbo C V1.5)

	    Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

			-- Deepak Mulchandani

Department Of Computer Sciences && Mathematics, Purdue University
Internet : exl@expert.cc.purdue.edu || exl@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Bitnet : XEXL@PURCCVM

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/10/90)

There is a version of Emacs called Emacs 3.10, that is ported to the
PC.  I got it from a BBS.  The file was called UE310IBM.ZIP.  There
is another file UE310DOC.ZIP which contains the documentation and
a third file called UE310CMD.ZIP whic contains a bunch of*.CMD files.

The BBS I got it from is Future Technology 617-720-4095; or for
Hayes 9600 v.42 617-720-1330; or for USRobotics 9600 617-227-4170.

I think you can contact to author at nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.  UUCP:
pur-ee!pur-phy!j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd.  Is that some where near you?

-- cj

markad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) (07/11/90)

For those of you who are looking for Emacs for the PC, I have a
suggestion which I can't back up, but which might help.

MG, which is a hacked down version of Gnu Emacs (not officially
recognized by Gnu, but people tell me it works good), has source
for a DOS version. You need the standard Unix code (available
somewhere on the net for FTP), and a few mods which I got from the
folks who wrote MG. With these, it is theoretically compileable on a
bunch of Unix boxes, as well as Dos. Its executable is supposed to be
about 64k (good for DOS) and it implements most of Emacs.

The docs with the standard release mention who to call to get the DOS
stuff. I haven't tried it because it supports 2 C compilers (MSC and
something else) which I dont have. If you get it going let me know.
If you cant find it, let me know & I'll dig up my copy.

Mark

jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com (mailhost) (07/11/90)

  GNU Emacs is a very powerful editor, but for many reasons
  I don't think you want to try and compile it for your MS-DOS
  PC (Unix maybe). It's huge and requires virtual memory are
  two reasons that spring to mind.

  I recommend trying Freemacs. It's a very competent (and small)
  editor that is closer to GNU Emacs than any other I've tried.
  Try it, you'll like it!

  Following is a description from the author.

Freemacs is a programmable editor.  The .EXE file is only 21K because
it only contains a language interpreter and text editor primitives.  The
bulk of the programming is done in MINT, which is a string-oriented
language.  Freemacs is yet another Emacs clone.  Emacs was first written
at MIT by Richard M. Stallman.

There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
has three distinguishing characteristics:

o Freemacs is free, and it was designed from the start to be programmable.
o Freemacs is the only IBM-PC editor that tries to be like GNU Emacs.
o Freemacs can only edit files less than 64K in length.

You may freely copy this software.  I only ask that you send improvements
back to me for incorporation into the package for the rest of us.  The
distribution is available from one or more of the following sources:

EMACS16A ARC   The executables and MINT code.
EMACS100 ARC   Zenith Z-100 version.  Requires EMACS16.
EMACSPEL ARC   Spelling checker.
EMACSEGA ARC   A collection of EGA utilities
EMAC16AS ARC   The .ASM source.

CUHUG BBS:

(315)268-6667 - 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs.  File area 25.  No registration
required to download Freemacs.

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to simtel20.army.mil from PD:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196] from
/e/freemacs

Bitnet && UUCP:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  You may use
archive-server%sun.soe@omnigate if you are on Bitnet, or
{smart-host}!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server if you are using
UUCP.  The mail message should consist of 'help'.  If you do not
get a reply within a day, then your return path is broken.  You'll
need to use the path command to give a mail address that our mailer
can grok.  Our mailer can send mail to any address with an '@' in it,
with the exception of ".UUCP" pseudo-addresses.

Or else send $15 (copying fee) to the author.  This will assure you of the
latest version.  Please specify floppy format:
  5.25", 1.2 Meg
  5.25", 360K
  3.50", 720K
			Russell Nelson
			11 Grant St.
			Potsdam, NY 13676
Jeff Sullivan | Computervision/Prime | jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com
CADDS R&D     | Bedford, MA    01730 | sun!cvbnet!jsulliva

markad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) (07/12/90)

In article <646@cvbnetPrime.COM> jsulliva@cvbnet.prime.com (mailhost) writes:
>There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
>has three distinguishing characteristics:
>o Freemacs is the only IBM-PC editor that tries to be like GNU Emacs.

As I understand it, 'MG' is another small model Gnu Emacs clone.
It is compileable on Unix boxes and Dos boxes and is a hack of another
Emacs clone to make it as much like Gnu as possible. Some of the'
people on our Suns actually prefer it to Gnu for quick editing because
it is so fast to come up.

I think the orig name was MicroGnu, but it was changed at the request of
the folks who make Gnu.

Note I haven't tried it, because I don't have the C compiler at home to make
it.

Mark

In article <4902@milton.u.washington.edu> markad@blake.acs.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) writes:

| MG, which is a hacked down version of Gnu Emacs (not officially
| recognized by Gnu, but people tell me it works good), has source
| for a DOS version.

  MG does not share code with GNUemacs. It has no relationship with
GNUemacs, which is why it is now called MG rather than MicroGNU, because
FSF ask the author to distance the editor.

  It's a spiffy editor, although I like MicroEmacs better (I run a
hacked 3.9p).
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX