[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modems, bulletin boards, and 2400 baud

msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) (07/09/90)

I'm having a small problem when I connect with bulletin boards that
advertise running at baud rates of 300/1200/2400.  First I set my Everex
Evercom 24 2400 BPS internal modem to 2400 baud, then I make the
connection, and finally I find that the connection has been established
with the bulletin board at 1200 baud (I have to reset the rate on my modem
to 1200 baud to continue)!  Does anyone have any idea why this might
happen?  Is there a trick to connecting at 2400 baud?  I have no problem
connecting at 2400 baud to numbers that are exclusively 2400 baud.

Thanks!
--
NAME:   M. Scott Dewey                 TELE: (301) 975-4843
DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov

richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) (07/10/90)

In article <00939602.BF4A8760@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV> msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
>I'm having a small problem when I connect with bulletin boards that
>advertise running at baud rates of 300/1200/2400.  First I set my Everex
>Evercom 24 2400 BPS internal modem to 2400 baud, then I make the
>connection, and finally I find that the connection has been established
>with the bulletin board at 1200 baud (I have to reset the rate on my modem
>to 1200 baud to continue)!  Does anyone have any idea why this might
>happen?  Is there a trick to connecting at 2400 baud?  I have no problem
>connecting at 2400 baud to numbers that are exclusively 2400 baud.

Sounds like your modem has auto baud detect turned on.  With that on, the
modem will detect the startup baud rate of the answering modem and match
itself to that baud rate.  The modems on multibaud BBS's start up at 1200
baud, and, if the calling modem does not answer back after a few seconds,
kick up to 2400 baud.  Hence, your connections are established at 1200
baud.  Boards that are exclusively 2400 baud, however, start up at 2400
baud, and that's why those connections are fine.

Check the documentation for your communications software.  Quite often there
is a toggle that allows you to turn auto baud detection on and off.

--
Rick Schaut
...{uunet | uw-beaver}!microsoft!richs

I don't do Windows! (...yet)

tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) (07/11/90)

richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) writes:

>In article <00939602.BF4A8760@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV> msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
>>I'm having a small problem when I connect with bulletin boards that
>>advertise running at baud rates of 300/1200/2400.  First I set my Everex

[stuff deleted]

>itself to that baud rate.  The modems on multibaud BBS's start up at 1200
>baud, and, if the calling modem does not answer back after a few seconds,
>kick up to 2400 baud.  Hence, your connections are established at 1200
>baud.  Boards that are exclusively 2400 baud, however, start up at 2400
>baud, and that's why those connections are fine.

Wouldn't it be more logical for a multibaud BBS to start at the highest
supported baudrate and try lower rates later (in descending order of speed),
that way each caller will connect using the highest possible speed.
In fact, I thought this was the way it was done...
--
    ____________________       ________________________________________
   / Erik Tamboer      /\__   / I would have included a really funny  /\__

kentkar@polari.UUCP (kent karrer) (07/12/90)

In article <00939602.BF4A8760@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV>, msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) writes:
> I'm having a small problem when I connect with bulletin boards that
* advertise running at baud rates of 300/1200/2400.  First I set my Everex
* Evercom 24 2400 BPS internal modem to 2400 baud, then I make the
* connection, and finally I find that the connection has been established
* with the bulletin board at 1200 baud (I have to reset the rate on my modem
* to 1200 baud to continue)!  Does anyone have any idea why this might
* happen?  Is there a trick to connecting at 2400 baud?  I have no problem
* connecting at 2400 baud to numbers that are exclusively 2400 baud.
*
* Thanks!
* --
* NAME:   M. Scott Dewey                 TELE: (301) 975-4843
* DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov
* USMAIL: NIST (formerly NBS)            BITNET: msd@nbsenh
*         Rm. A-141, Bldg. 221
*         Gaithersburg, MD  20899

I have experienced the same problem with my Evercom 24E+ (2400 bps external).
After many hours of reconfiguring my comms software and frustrating sysops
by having them check their modem setup, I called Everex Technical Support.
It turns out that this is a known problem due to the Everex modem not waiting
long enough to get protocals straight at 2400 bps. The Tech Support person I
talked to had me open my modem and check the rev of a specific chip. He said
it was out of spec, took my name and address, and said that a new chip would
be sent to me. In the meantime, he suggested that I could include coma's ","
at the end of my dialing string to provide the appropriate amount of delay to
get things going at 2400.

Perhaps a call to Everex would help you out -- (415) 498-1115.
--
[~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]
[ My thought is in control of my experience and I can direct my thinking. ]

shark@clinet.FI (Matti Stark) (07/16/90)

Sender: Kristian Stark
In article <7101@star.cs.vu.nl> tamboer@cs.vu.nl (Tamboer Erik) writes:
>richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) writes:
>
>>In article <00939602.BF4A8760@QMD.PHY.NIST.GOV> msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott D
wey) writes:
>>>I'm having a small problem when I connect with bulletin boards that
>>>advertise running at baud rates of 300/1200/2400.  First I set my Everex
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>>itself to that baud rate.  The modems on multibaud BBS's start up at 1200
>>baud, and, if the calling modem does not answer back after a few seconds,
>>kick up to 2400 baud.  Hence, your connections are established at 1200
>>baud.  Boards that are exclusively 2400 baud, however, start up at 2400
>>baud, and that's why those connections are fine.
>
>Wouldn't it be more logical for a multibaud BBS to start at the highest
>supported baudrate and try lower rates later (in descending order of speed),
>that way each caller will connect using the highest possible speed.
>In fact, I thought this was the way it was done...

Modems will always start at the highest speed that they are capable of handlin
.
If the problems you are having are in connecting to boards running esp. a
USR modem, I would say that your problem does not lie in the speeds of the
boards, but rather with your modem.  (I assume you are using an Everex
Evercom 24 +, correct me if I am wrong...)  I sell Everex products on a part-
time basis, and have noted that there is a problem with the Everex modem
chip-set in this regard, that becomes apparent with only a few modems... and
even so only when the Everex originates the call...  I would suggest you
call or write Everex tech support on this matter, (415)651-0728, (Everex
Systems Inc., 48431 Milmont Drive, Fremont, CA 94538) and see if they have
any suggestions other then dropping to 1200...

Sorry, I can't find the original message anywhere on this system, but
this is what I can piece together from this message.

Kris

Kristian Stark @ FIDONET 2:515/444   (Summer)
                 FIDONET 1:260/420   (Otherwise)
Internet:        shark@clinet.fi
Bitnet:          STARK@ITHACA

Also, Kristian_Stark@f260420n.n260.z1.fidonet.ORG

/*
The opinoions expressed, are solely mine.  If they happen to mactch those of
my emplyoyer, my landloard, my banker, or even my school, that has happened
purely by a freak hand in the bit-bag.
*/