[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 4DOS COMSPEC Question

sos@psc90.UUCP (Steffan O'Sullivan) (07/10/90)

4DOS COMSPEC question: first, I use 4DOS rather than COMMAND.COM as my
primary shell.  The question:

If I want to set COMSPEC equal to COMMAND.COM for exiting to DOS from
programs, will that cause a problem with 4DOS?  I find COMMAND.COM
loads more quickly and smaller as a secondary shell, and is fine for the
times I need to go to shell from a program.  But I don't want to cause
any problems with the normal 4DOS operation, and I'm not sure when
COMSPEC is called upon.

Any ideas on this?

	-Steffan O'Sullivan    sos@psc90.uucp  (7/20: sos@oz.plymouth.edu)
         Plymouth State College, NH

smithj@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (07/10/90)

In article <1437@psc90.UUCP>, sos@psc90.UUCP (Steffan O'Sullivan) writes:
> 4DOS COMSPEC question: first, I use 4DOS rather than COMMAND.COM as my
> primary shell.  The question:
>
> If I want to set COMSPEC equal to COMMAND.COM for exiting to DOS from
> programs, will that cause a problem with 4DOS?  I find COMMAND.COM
> loads more quickly and smaller as a secondary shell, and is fine for the
> times I need to go to shell from a program.  But I don't want to cause
> any problems with the normal 4DOS operation, and I'm not sure when
> COMSPEC is called upon.

    Although I may be wrong on this I think that COMSPEC is only used when a
program tries to shell.  To use it in the fashion you want the only solution I
see is to use an alias or batch file to set COMSPEC and then reset it.  Remember
that 4DOS has a setlocal/endlocal pair to simplify this if you use a batch file.

alias runprog set comspec=c:\dos\command^progcall %1 etc.^comspec=c:\4dos

runprog.btm
-----------
setlocal
set comspec=c:\dos\command
progcall %1 etc.
endlocal

If you don't currently use COMSPEC and want to leave it set permanently to
COMMAND.COM I don't think it will cause any problems but I'm not sure.
--
I knew how the game was going to end when I took Brenda
	into the filing room but I took her in anyway.	--Al

/* Jeffery G. Smith, BS-RHIT (AKA Doc. Insomnia, WMHD-FM)       *
 *    The Ohio State University, Graduate Physics Program       *
 *        3193 Smith Lab, Columbus, OH 43210  (614) 292-5321    *
 *    smithj@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu                          */

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (07/10/90)

In article <1437@psc90.UUCP>, sos@psc90.UUCP (Steffan O'Sullivan) writes...

>If I want to set COMSPEC equal to COMMAND.COM for exiting to DOS from
>programs, will that cause a problem with 4DOS?

4DOS is designed to support this.  If there are any problems, they're bugs!

>I find COMMAND.COM loads more quickly and smaller as a secondary shell

Really? On my 386 it only takes 20K (with EMS swapping) to start a secondary
4DOS shell.  If you're not using EMS swapping, milage may vary.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (07/16/90)

In article <1437@psc90.UUCP>, sos@psc90.UUCP (Steffan O'Sullivan) writes...

>If I want to set COMSPEC equal to COMMAND.COM for exiting to DOS from
>programs, will that cause a problem with 4DOS?

>I find COMMAND.COM loads more quickly and smaller as a secondary shell

Use 4dos286.exe (or 4dos88.exe) as the secondary shell. There is no swapping,
but this loads as quickly as Command.com.

Best Regard, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.