[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Simulate a mouse with a joystick?

zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) (07/11/90)

I seem to remember someone mentioning software which would simulate a mouse
with a joystick.  Does anyone remember where this software was to be found?

David Zielke
zielke@cs.duke.edu
zielke@phy.duke.edu
|  Name:		David M. Zielke					|
|  Internet:		zielke@physics.phy.duke.edu			|
|			zielke@cs.duke.edu				|

hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) (07/12/90)

zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) writes:

>I seem to remember someone mentioning software which would simulate a mouse
>with a joystick.  Does anyone remember where this software was to be found?

You probably remember my request for such a beast last April, or someone
elses request that was more recently posted.  I got several replies
last April from people who said "If you find one, I want it too.", but
not a single pointer to where one exists.

With the plethora of programs for every purpose (I love alliteration),
it seems we have uncovered an unmet need, and perhaps an opportunity
for someone to make a buck.

How about it?  Any of you programmers pondering a plunge (there I go again)
into the lucrative world of shareware programming with a Virtual Mouse
driver?

dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (07/12/90)

In article <3994@cherry.UUCP> hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) writes:
>zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) writes:
>>I seem to remember someone mentioning software which would simulate a mouse
>>with a joystick.  Does anyone remember where this software was to be found?
>
>You probably remember my request for such a beast last April, or someone
>elses request that was more recently posted.  I got several replies
>last April from people who said "If you find one, I want it too.", but
>not a single pointer to where one exists.

It's called PMM ("Poor Man's Mouse").

Last seen on the exec-PC bulletin board.  I'd suggest searching the
local bulletin boards or some of the anonymous ftp sites.  I already
checked simtel and doc.cso.uiuc.edu and they weren't there....

--
Dennis Lou                Disclaimer: I don't use lame disks.
dlou@dino.ucsd.edu         "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) (07/12/90)

In article <11848@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> dlou@dino.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:
>In article <3994@cherry.UUCP> hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) writes:
>>zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) writes:
>>>I seem to remember someone mentioning software which would simulate a mouse
>>>with a joystick.  Does anyone remember where this software was to be found?
>>
>>You probably remember my request for such a beast last April, or someone
>>elses request that was more recently posted.  I got several replies
>>last April from people who said "If you find one, I want it too.", but
>>not a single pointer to where one exists.
>
>It's called PMM ("Poor Man's Mouse").

Actually, PMM is *NOT* a true mouse simulator.. All it does is
it makes the joystick emulate the cursor keyboard ARROW keys...
It does not actually intercept the mouse interuppt vectors and
emulate a true mouse... I too have asked for such a program and
some have said Poor Man mouse but that is *NOT* correct...

A LONG time ago someone said PCMagazine published a utility
(or it was on their pc disk...) a program called MOUSE.COM
which does what we need.. It was in 1986 I think...
I search all issues of 1986, 1987 and 1988 but couldn't find
any such program!! Does anyone collect all of PCMagazines
disk?? Or perhaps has access to PCMagazines archives
(I think they run a BBS...)

Let me know
George

--
George Wang
Wang Associates

t-rayc@microsoft.UUCP (Raymond CHEN) (07/18/90)

In article <3994@cherry.UUCP> hamilton@motcid.UUCP (Danial Hamilton) writes:
>it seems we have uncovered an unmet need, and perhaps an opportunity
>for someone to make a buck.

The following reply has been sitting in the comp.sys.ibm.pc archives since
June:

Subject: Emulating mouse with joystick
From lloyd@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Lloyd Parkes) 8 May 90

I have a program that can help.  Email if interested.