[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Serial Port Problems

dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (07/17/90)

I have a HP LaserJet II printer hooked up via serial port to my Compaq
286e. When I print through Windows 3.0, it works perfectly without
problems, but when I try to print to DOS, it acts like the printer
isn't even there. Does anyone knwo what I am doing wrong? I understand
Windows 3.0 automatically initializing something (that's why it works)
and DOS doesn't. What is this "something" that Windows 3.0 does to
make the HP LaserJet II work? Thanks for any info!
							...dale

name: Dale C. Chun	    | * 2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.
PLAYMAC Technical Support   | * Hack First, Ask Questions Later.
email: dchun@aludra.usc.edu | * MAC; Maybe A Computer, but probably a toy.

In article <10870@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>I have a HP LaserJet II printer hooked up via serial port to my Compaq
>286e. When I print through Windows 3.0, it works perfectly without
>problems, but when I try to print to DOS, it acts like the printer
				   ~~ should read: "from"
>isn't even there. Does anyone knwo what I am doing wrong? I understand
			       ~~~~ sp. "know"
>Windows 3.0 automatically initializing something (that's why it works)
>and DOS doesn't. What is this "something" that Windows 3.0 does to
>make the HP LaserJet II work? Thanks for any info!

...sorry for the errors, networld!

bank@lea.ncsu.edu (Dave The DM) (07/19/90)

In article <10870@chaph.usc.edu> dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>I have a HP LaserJet II printer hooked up via serial port to my Compaq
>286e. When I print through Windows 3.0, it works perfectly without
>problems, but when I try to print to DOS, it acts like the printer
>isn't even there. Does anyone knwo what I am doing wrong? I understand
>Windows 3.0 automatically initializing something (that's why it works)
>and DOS doesn't. What is this "something" that Windows 3.0 does to
>make the HP LaserJet II work? Thanks for any info!
>							...dale

>name: Dale C. Chun	    | * 2 + 2 = 5, for sufficiently large values of 2.
>PLAYMAC Technical Support   | * Hack First, Ask Questions Later.
>email: dchun@aludra.usc.edu | * MAC; Maybe A Computer, but probably a toy.

   You probably need to inform DOS that instead of having your printer
on the LPT port (aka parallel port) of your machine, it is instead
connected to the COM (aka serial) port. You accomplish this task,
sometimes called I/O Redirection, using the MODE command in DOS.

   The syntax of the command, assuming that you are using COM 1 (the
first COM port) and your printer has these communications parameters
(9600 bits per second, no parity, 8 data bits/character, 1 stop bit/

character) is:

       MODE COM1:96,N,8,1,P

   This tells DOS that you have a serial-interface printer on COM port
#1, operating at 9600 bps, N-8-1 character format. If your printer
uses a different format or operates at a different speed, consult your
DOS manual on the variances in parameters.

   Next, you need to instruct DOS to redirect the parallel port output
to the serial port. You do this with:

       MODE LPT1:=COM1

   These steps must be accomplished in this order. You have to
initialize the serial link before actually telling DOS to redirect
the data.

   Again, if you are using different parallel or serial ports, check
your DOS manual under "MODE Command" for the different parameters.

   Hope this helps......

                                           Dave the DM

DISCLAIMER: The above message constitutes an honest effort by the
            author to impart information he knows, or reasonably
            knows, to be true. All other interpretations are in error.