[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SoundBlaster info needed

fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) (07/20/90)

Hi everyone,

  I'm planning on buying a SoundBlaster and have a few
  questions on its capabilities...

First of all, does anybody know an approximate price for the
card in Canada (in a a store, not mail order)?

Is it worth the extra money or should I get the Adlib? What
does it do that the Adlib doesn't, and most of all, which
additional features are supported in games (how many games?)...
Is it 100% Adlib compatible (all the channels)?

Also, I've heard that it does A/D and D/A conversion. How good
is it? I'm not expecting CD quality of course, but how does
it compare to the MAC (8 bit, up to 22KHz sampling) or to
some arcade games that use speech and digitized sound?

Is it easy to install? I've been told it requires an IRQ line.
Which one? I suppose the IRQ number is jumper-selectable. What
lines can I use (3,4,5,7). 3,4,7 are already taken up by my serial
and parallel ports so I hope it can use 5 (or some other IRQ line
i'm not aware of).
I've also heard of a game port (option?). I already have a double game
port so I don't want to pay for another, and I don't want a conflict
between the 2. Can the one on the SB be disabled?

Does it come with good software and programming info?

		Thank you in advance for the help

		You can E-Mail me at fasciano@iro.umontreal.ca
		or post on the net if you feel the info can
		help others...

--

Massimo Fasciano (fasciano@iro.umontreal.ca)

popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Karl Richard Buck) (07/20/90)

fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) writes:

>Hi everyone,

>  I'm planning on buying a SoundBlaster and have a few
>  questions on its capabilities...

>First of all, does anybody know an approximate price for the
>card in Canada (in a a store, not mail order)?

I'm not sure about canada prices, but U.S. prices run around $200
retail and $40 to $50 cheaper for mail order.

>Is it worth the extra money or should I get the Adlib? What
>does it do that the Adlib doesn't, and most of all, which
>additional features are supported in games (how many games?)...
>Is it 100% Adlib compatible (all the channels)?

It's worth it if the following criteria are important to you:
	1. Speech/Digitized sound channel
	2. Inexpensive but proprietary MIDI capability.
	3. Ad Lib, Game Blaster, CMS and of course Sound Blaster
	   compatability. (BTW, there are no games that use the
	   full 24 voice Sound Blaster capability (yet) that I
	   know of)
	4. The largest software base of all the sound cards for
	   the pc.

The Ad Lib is a fine card for playing games with Ad Lib support,
but if you want any of the above features, the Sound Blaster could
be the answer.

>Also, I've heard that it does A/D and D/A conversion. How good
>is it? I'm not expecting CD quality of course, but how does
>it compare to the MAC (8 bit, up to 22KHz sampling) or to
>some arcade games that use speech and digitized sound?

I would call the sound quality fair, but then I'm only using a
cheap Radio Shack microphone. The sampling is selectable from
5000 to 13000hz. As to how it compares with the MAC, I really do
not know.

>Is it easy to install? I've been told it requires an IRQ line.
>Which one? I suppose the IRQ number is jumper-selectable. What
>lines can I use (3,4,5,7). 3,4,7 are already taken up by my serial
>and parallel ports so I hope it can use 5 (or some other IRQ line
>i'm not aware of).

The Sound Blaster Can use IRQ2,3,5,7.

>I've also heard of a game port (option?). I already have a double game
>port so I don't want to pay for another, and I don't want a conflict
>between the 2. Can the one on the SB be disabled?

Yes.

>Does it come with good software and programming info?

There is a short section in the back of the manual that gives some infor-
mation for programmers, but is by no means comprehensive. Included
with the package is a catalog for ordering tools, music disks etc.

--
 731 Moro			popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu
 Manhattan, KS 66502		popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul19.191538.10451@IRO.UMontreal.CA< fasciano@philemon.UUCP (Massimo Fasciano) writes:
<
<Hi everyone,
<
<  I'm planning on buying a SoundBlaster and have a few
<  questions on its capabilities...
<
<
<First of all, does anybody know an approximate price for the
<card in Canada (in a a store, not mail order)?

Computer Concepts (Nepean, Ont) has it in stock for.. gasp.. $300+
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |