[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CP/M to DOS

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (07/24/90)

I have lots of 5.25" SSDD *hard* sector disks in CP/M format.  I need these
files transferred to a DOS machine.  Any suggestions?

I've looked at several CP/M to DOS conversion packages (software), but none
will handle hard sectored disks.

Please email, as I can't keep up with the volume here.

Thanks in advance!

--
            ---------------------------------------
            | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg |

drick@hplvli.HP.COM (David Rick) (07/27/90)

Tried to repond directly to this, but my mail bounced...

From MAILER-DAEMON@hp-sde.sde.hp.com Wed Jul 25 16:07 MDT 1990
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 16:04:18 mdt
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@hp-sde.sde.hp.com>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: <hplisa!hplvla!drick>

550 <dekalb!greg>... Host unknown: No such file or directory

From: David Rick <hplisa!hplvla!drick>
Full-Name: David Rick
To: dekalb!greg
Subject: Re: CP/M to DOS
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.os.cpm

Doing this conversion requires a hard-sectored drive and special controller.
Some of the media conversion services can still do this job, I expect.

If you still have the original machine, serial transfer would be cheaper.
The package called Move-It is available in both DOS and CP/M hard-sectored
versions.  You might have to dig a bit to find an ad for this package,
but I think it still exists.

Good luck!

David L. Rick
Hewlett-Packard Company
(creators of more incompatible disk formats than anyone else!)
Loveland, CO
...hplabs!hplvdo!drick

Disclaimer:  The above text was generated by amplifying thermal
noise and feeding the result into a serial port.