[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80486

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (11/29/88)

Has anyone seen information on the 80486, recently -- especially projected
production dates?  I would also like to know what new features it's supposed
to have.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer                Hacking...
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       It's not just an adventure
                                    It's my job!

caulton@inuxd.UUCP (D Caulton) (11/30/88)

> Has anyone seen information on the 80486, recently -- especially projected
> production dates?  I would also like to know what new features it's supposed
> to have.

I talked to Intel just about a month ago--they refuse to officially
acknowledge the chip as having any features at all.  They have only
admitted it exists grudgingly.  Infoworld had some rumors about it
a month or two ago--you might look there.  As I recall it will be an
awesome chip, with full math coprocessor functions built into the
instruction set (there will, I think, be two versions--one weak,
which will have these functions, and a streamlined one without
them.) The first machines running with it are supposed to run at
40 MHz, going up from there.  But it will be a might expensive-
these machines will cost upwards of 20,000 samolians.  Not a bad
deal for a machine more powerful than most minis, though. Anybody
else have more information on these?
				David Caulton
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Indianapolis, IN

carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu (11/30/88)

I went to a talk by Intel about it, and they were cagey about actual dates.
From what they said, the '486 does not really have any new features. Mostly,
it's faster (a significant number of long instructions execute in fewer
cycles), and there will be no '487 - it's built in now. (I.e., the FPU
is onboard, which makes it a lot faster).

Alan M. Carroll          "How many danger signs did you ignore?
carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu     How many times had you heard it all before?" - AP&EW
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/02/88)

In article <1300@inuxd.UUCP> caulton@inuxd.UUCP (D Caulton) writes:
}> Has anyone seen information on the 80486, recently -- especially projected
}> production dates?  ...

}I talked to Intel just about a month ago--they refuse to officially
}acknowledge the chip as having any features at all.  They have only
}admitted it exists grudgingly.  ...

For what it's worth (not much):

About a year ago I caught a rumor that both the 80486 and 80586 chips
already exist and are being used in-house at Intel.  Supposedly, they were
being kept off the market so as not to hurt 80386 sales.

Source of the rumor was an upper management type (_not_ from Intel) who
claimed (semi?)direct knowledge of these things.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/03/88)

In article <3472@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
|About a year ago I caught a rumor that both the 80486 and 80586 chips
|already exist and are being used in-house at Intel.  Supposedly, they were
|being kept off the market so as not to hurt 80386 sales.

I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out. It is Intel's
Ethernet interface chip. Sun used it on some of their Sun-3s and in a
talk at Usenix mentioned that the 586 driver was exceptionally large
because of the many chip bugs they had to work around. Sun uses AMD
7990 LANCE chips in their later model workstations (Sun-3/50 and
3/60).  Researchers at LBL have found they can get more Ethernet
throughput from the LANCE than the 586.

(disclaimer: obviously I work for AMD but I believe these statements
are true facts. I am not an authorized representative of the company
and these are not official statements.)

By the way, the 786 also exists, it's a graphics chip.
--

Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com
{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/03/88)

In article <23671@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out.

Apocalypse approaches rapidly.  From 8086 we derived 80286, and then
things became more orderly as we went to 80386, 80486, and now 80586.
When we reach 80986, what will happen?  Will Intel add one and get
81086 (8 steps up from the 80286), or will it insert a new digit and
make it 800286 (a giant leap in processing power)?

In any case there will be a singularity in naming that could wreak
havoc with the delicate fabric of segmented space-time.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

In article <4940@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
|Apocalypse approaches rapidly.  From 8086 we derived 80286, and then
|things became more orderly as we went to 80386, 80486, and now 80586.

Don't forget the 80186, which came out in 1982, or the 80188, which
came out a little later.
--

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (12/03/88)

In article <23671@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
| I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out. It is Intel's
| Ethernet interface chip. Sun used it on some of their Sun-3s and in a
| talk at Usenix mentioned that the 586 driver was exceptionally large
| because of the many chip bugs they had to work around. Sun uses AMD
| 7990 LANCE chips in their later model workstations (Sun-3/50 and
| 3/60).  Researchers at LBL have found they can get more Ethernet
| throughput from the LANCE than the 586.

	No, that's the 82586.

| (disclaimer: obviously I work for AMD but I believe these statements
| are true facts. I am not an authorized representative of the company
| and these are not official statements.)
|
| By the way, the 786 also exists, it's a graphics chip.

	82* again...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/04/88)

>Apocalypse approaches rapidly.  From 8086 we derived 80286, and then
>things became more orderly as we went to 80386, 80486, and now 80586.
>When we reach 80986, what will happen?

Use hex of course: 80a86, 80b86 ... 80f86. Then go to base 36 -
80g86,...  80z86. Rumor has it that that is exactly what Boeing is going to do:
7a7, 7b7 ...

dougm@ico.ISC.COM (Doug McCallum) (12/04/88)

In article <23671@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out. It is Intel's
>Ethernet interface chip. Sun used it on some of their Sun-3s and in a

The Intel LAN controller chip is the 82586 not the 80586.

>By the way, the 786 also exists, it's a graphics chip.

This is an 82786.  The 82 seems to indicate controller chip rather than
CPU chip.

That leaves the 80586 and 80786 still to come.

johne@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Eaton) (12/06/88)

<<<<
<I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out. It is Intel's
< Ethernet interface chip.
----------
Is that the same as Intel's 82586 Ethernet interface chip?

John Eaton
!hpvcla!johne

mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) (12/06/88)

In article <23671@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <3472@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) write
>|About a year ago I caught a rumor that both the 80486 and 80586 chips
>|already exist and are being used in-house at Intel.  Supposedly, they were
>|being kept off the market so as not to hurt 80386 sales.

>I would like to point out that the 80586 is already out. It is Intel's
>Ethernet interface chip.

Not exactly.  Intel's Ethernet controller is the 82586, not the 80586.  In
general, their general-purpose processors are 80xxx, and their specialize
coprocessors are 82xxx.  Presumably, the rumored 80586 will indeed be a
derivative of the 80386 (and '486).
--
Mike Lawless, NCR E&M Wichita, Box 20     (316) 636-8666   (NCR: 654-8666)
3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita, KS  67226     Mike.Lawless@Wichita.NCR.COM

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/06/88)

In article <23671@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
(some stuff I shouldn't have posted)

Never mind and sorry for the noise.

--

Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com
{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (12/08/88)

You left out the 80186 (as well as the 8088 and 80188).  However, it was
"merely" an 8086 with some built-in interface chips.  They changed the
numbering system after that.

My bet is that after the 80986, they will go to 80096.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (12/19/88)

In article <213400015@s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I went to a talk by Intel about it, and they were cagey about actual dates.
>From what they said, the '486 does not really have any new features. Mostly,
>it's faster (a significant number of long instructions execute in fewer
>cycles), and there will be no '487 - it's built in now. (I.e., the FPU
>is onboard, which makes it a lot faster).

Is it a full function FPU (i.e. with trig and transcendentals) or is does
it just support the four basic operations?

What floating point format does it support?

Does this mean the 486 has no coprocessor interface?
--
Regards.....George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.

UUCP: {utzoo,uunet}!mnetor!george
BELL: (416)475-8980

arlo@wucs1.wustl.edu (Arlo T. Hasselbring) (07/27/90)

Does anyone know the specific nature of the bugs in the B-3 version of
the 80486 chip?  The current version is the B-6, and C versions are on
the way.  Do the bugs affect memory management, fpu?  Are there any
software packages, or classes of software, or classes of software
functionality that should be avoided?

I would be glad to post responses emailed to me.

thanks in advance,

arlo hasselbring
CS dept.
Washington University in St. Louis