[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq Hard Disks

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (07/28/90)

In article <11035@chaph.usc.edu> asplund@alcor.usc.edu (Daryl) writes:
>I have, what I thought to be, a simple question about a friend's Compaq
>Deskpro 386/16.  His original disk drive (40Mb) died on him.  He has a
>Seagate ST251-1 (40Mb, 27ms) drive that he would like to use; however,
>the Compaq "all-in-one" controller (controls hard disk, floppies, tape
>unit, one serial, one parallel) has an odd connector on it.  A quick
>call to Compaq explained that the drive is an MFM drive (no probelm there),
>but it uses the "special" Conor(?) connector.  They went on to say that
>there is a conversion between the standard connectors (the Seagate has
>a place for the two standard cables (control and data)), but they could
>not release that information.
>I guess my question is:  Does anyone have the conversion between these
>connectors (if one really exists)?

Since you mention the word "Conor" above, here is my answer:  At the
risk of saying something stupid (so what's new :-) I am going to
guess that Seagate has misled you.  If the original drive is a Conner
Peripherals CP-344, with a 40 pin (I think) connector, then it has
what amounts to a direct AT bus connection.  Conner provides
schematics of an "interface board" for the 344 (and newer 3044) which
is nothing more than bus transeivers, and all the real interfacing is
done in the electronics of the drive.  The Compaq board would be
duplicating Conner's suggested circuitry.  So what I'm saying is that
the Conner does NOT have a standard st412 type interface like your
Seagate probably has, since you mention two connectors for it.  Now,
if the Conner has a 50 pin connector and is a Conner CP-340 then it
has a SCSI interface, and again there is no way to simply cable up
the Seagate.

Has your friend gone thru the process of finding out about repair or
replacement of the Conner?  Some companies had negotiated a special 5
year warantee with Conner on the CP-34x series.  I have no idea if
that would apply to Compaq or not.

If the original aint a Conner then ignore all that I said ;-)

My 2 cents worth.
Al

Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA