[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ALR 386SX ...Any problems out there?

pgeltner@smcnet.smc.edu (Peter Geltner, Comp Admin) (07/27/90)

We have 16 ALR 386SX PCs and have experienced about a 25% failure rate in
either the motherboard, memory board or hard drive.  This is much larger
than our failure rates for name brands such as AT&T.  Is this just a
coincidence, or has anyone out there experienced similar failures?  Also,
the turn around on warranty work has been horrendous.  Promised a 3 day
turn around, called them after 3 weeks, and they said that they were
waiting for UPS to come around to check a damage claim on the equipment!
They also said that they were busy with inventory.

We need to buy over 40 new PCs in the next couple of months....any suggestions
or horror stories will be helpful.

Thanks.

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (07/28/90)

   Our company sells ALR products, including the 386SX upgrade to the
PowerFlex, and I've never heard of any of the ALRs we've sold failing
(that's one of the reasons why we sell them).
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/
  /---------\_____________________________________________________\----------/

dve@zooid.UUCP (system operator) (07/31/90)

pgeltner@smcnet.smc.edu (Peter Geltner, Comp Admin) writes:

> We have 16 ALR 386SX PCs and have experienced about a 25% failure rate in
> either the motherboard, memory board or hard drive.  This is much larger
> than our failure rates for name brands such as AT&T.  Is this just a
> coincidence, or has anyone out there experienced similar failures?  Also,

We buy straight, no-name clones from a clone dealer. Our failure rate is
about 5%, and 90% of that is hard disk failures, because our supplier is
trying out new hard disks. If something goes wrong with one of our new
machines, the entire unit is replaced the next day. The machines are also
dirt cheap.

I'm not a big fan of "name brand" machines. Especially when most name-brand
machines have their own proprietary memory and BIOS, so compatibility
problems crop up, and they don't let you put your own boards in, and so on.
Although there isn't much glamour in clones, at least they stick to the
standards and off-the-shelf replacement parts are always available.