[comp.sys.ibm.pc] the $25 Network

gururaj@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ravi Gururaj) (08/03/89)

I was considering buying the $25 Network. A network "simulator" of some
kind that costs $25(software) + $15(cable). Has anyone bought this product
and what kind of luck have you had with it. The product is put out by a
company called Information Modes.
Thanks in advance

Ravi Gururaj
University of Pennsylvania.

fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/10/90)

Some time ago I saw this product called "The $25 Network".  Basically,
I didn't care because I am a UNIX person and it is for DOS.
But, I got stuck doing some DOS stuff and I just ended up with it.

Basically, it is a device driver and a TSR that allows you to connect
2 or 3 DOS systems together with regular serial ports and communicate
at 115KB.  And, it works.  Once installed, you can just treat the
drives on one system as resident on the other.  I first tried it with
a 286 and a 386 system, both with hard disks.  Once I removed a funny
TSR from one of the systems it worked fine.  Then I tried it with my
T1000 portable.  I configured the Toshiba to only boot of the floppy
but use the network for all loads.  It isn't fast but it works.  For
example, I can load PC-Write over the network and edit files on the
hard disk of the other system.

I am still not sure what I will really use it for but it comes with a
bunch of diagnostics and "fix" programs.  One of them, FAKELPT allows
you to make a program think there is a printer port out there which isn't.
This was worth the $25 as I needed to convince draw that LPT3 existed
so I could send PostScript files to the UltraScript interpreter.  It
worked.

Anyway, enough of the sales pitch.  You can get more info from:
   imodes
   P.O. Drawer F
   Denton, TX 76202
   (800)628-7992 - orders
   (817)387-3339 - Techline
It really costs $25 (plus $1.50 shipping).  I ordered it on Thursday
and received it today (Monday).  And, yes, it comes with tech
support.
--
Phil Hughes - FYL - 8315 Lk City Wy - Ste 207 - Seattle, WA 98115 - 206-526-2919
                {uw-beaver!uw-nsr,uunet!pilchuck!ssc}!fylz!fyl

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (07/17/90)

In article <1290@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
<Some time ago I saw this product called "The $25 Network".  Basically,
<I didn't care because I am a UNIX person and it is for DOS.
<But, I got stuck doing some DOS stuff and I just ended up with it.

I use this program every day. I used to use the Brooklyn Bridge, and ended
up tossing it in favor of the "$25 Network". It's a fine program,
probably worth at least $150, but the author insists on selling it
at $25.

jacobs@freezer.it.udel.edu (Mike Jacobs) (07/18/90)

In article <2572@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
=>In article <1290@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
=><Some time ago I saw this product called "The $25 Network".  Basically,
=><I didn't care because I am a UNIX person and it is for DOS.
=><But, I got stuck doing some DOS stuff and I just ended up with it.
=>
=>I use this program every day. I used to use the Brooklyn Bridge, and ended
=>up tossing it in favor of the "$25 Network". It's a fine program,
=>probably worth at least $150, but the author insists on selling it
=>at $25.

what also great about it is that it allows a PCjr to be able to be in
a network.  PCjr's are normally hardware incompatible, but all you need
is a PCjr serial cable and you've in.

--

Mike J             |
The Grey Sysop...  |  Phone...RING!...yep yep yep yep yep!

trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) (07/20/90)

> In article <2572@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) write
>
> In article <1290@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> Some time ago I saw this product called "The $25 Network".
> [...]
> probably worth at least $150, but the author insists on selling it
> at $25.

Does anybody know how to get this product in europe? Is there any
distributor? Let me know.

Regards,

* -----   .    | UUCP  : trig@dkatrig.UUCP       |  Georg Trietsch  *
*  / /- /  /_> |         trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org |     Karlsruhe    *
* / /  /   _/  | Voice : +49 721 406357          |  West - Germany  *

hyunk@sal-sun35.usc.edu (hunk + y = hyunk) (07/31/90)

Where can I get one?

			thanks