[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Alternatives to SIMTEL20

"Arnold G. Gill" <GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (03/04/90)

     There is a possibility if you are hooked up to BITNET, or can send
messages to a BITNET LISTSERVer.  There are two such machines, which keep
copies of SIMTEL20 archives - rpiecs and ndsuvm1.  The syntax of the command
to send to these machines is

{send/tell} listserv@{rpiecs/ndsuvm1} /pdget pd1:<msdos.directory>filename.ext

where directory and filename.ext are as on SIMTEL20.  These machines then
queue batch type processes to their copies of SIMTEL, and you receive the
files via mail (usually) within a few days.  Long files are broken up into
uuencoded segments.  There usually is a limit of 3 files a day of 150000
bytes, depending on current usage.  Unfortunately, this *may* only work on
BITNET sites.  (You can try it - send the above as a mail message - in the
worst case it will bounce.)

     There is another method.  A machine exists whereby you can submit ftp
commands, and this machine will process these as some type of batch process.
Unfortunately, I cannot remember where this machine is - I'm thinking Berkeley
or Cornell.  Anyone have any idea?
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) (03/04/90)

What's a good alternative anonymous FTP site for ibm-pc stuff besides
SIMTEL20?  I find its very hard to get a connection there.  Either the
connection times out or there are too many anonymous users.  When I do
manage to get a connection its very slow and often seems to die
halfway through a transfer.

I was under the impression that there were some sites that kept copies of
the SIMTEL20 archives but I can't seem to find them.  Any suggestions?

John Kellow
kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu (Sean C. Cox) (03/04/90)

kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) writes:

>What's a good alternative anonymous FTP site for ibm-pc stuff besides
>SIMTEL20?  I find its very hard to get a connection there.  Either the
>connection times out or there are too many anonymous users.  When I do
>manage to get a connection its very slow and often seems to die
>halfway through a transfer.

>I was under the impression that there were some sites that kept copies of
>the SIMTEL20 archives but I can't seem to find them.  Any suggestions?

  I often use wuarchive.wustl.edu for ftping since it is usually much less
busy, and has a UNIX file structure as opposed to the CP/M (I believe) of
simtel20.

                                             -Sean Cox

Sean_Cox@mts.rpi.edu    \  "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a
userGDQT@RPITSMTS.BITNET >  comedy for those who think." -Jean de LaBruyere
skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu     /  "F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke." - John Cox

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/05/90)

>>What's a good alternative anonymous FTP site for ibm-pc stuff besides
>>SIMTEL20?

>  I often use wuarchive.wustl.edu for ftping since it is usually much less
>busy, and has a UNIX file structure as opposed to the CP/M (I believe) of
                                                       ^^^^
well, no, it's TOPS-20, but CP/M was influenced by it!
>simtel20.

A good newsgroup to follow for this kind of information is
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.

I have had good results from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu, chyde.uwasa.fi,
mtsg.ubc.ca, hotel.cis.ksu.edu, and terminator.cc.umich.edu for PC stuff.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

linwood@cbnewsk.att.com (linwood.d.johnson) (10/17/90)

Hello Netland,

   I am sure that we all know that it is very hard to gain acces to the
archives stored at SIMTEL20 simply because so many people are trying to
do the same thing at once.  I'd like to see how many alternative sites
the net can come up with that try to mirror SIMTEL20 or has a good
collection of ibm pc archives that can be gotten by anonymous ftp or
mailserver.

| Linwood D. Johnson       |  linwood@ihlpf.att.com                 |
| Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine and mine only.       |
|             Besides, who else would want them?                    |