[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there a spreadsheet/database combo program?

rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct19.032936.6557@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> I'd like to find a way to import or link database entries with entries
> in a spreadsheet (Lotus/Excel/whatever doesn't matter).  What I'm looking
> for a way of searching for a item in a database (w/ some predicate), then
> once the entry or entries have been found, bring it's values into the
> spreadsheet.
>
> *THEN* if I change a value in the spreadsheet which affects the values
> for one of my spreadsheet entries, it's new updated value is reflected
> in the database respectively.
>
> If this isn't possible, it would be nice to at least have some sort of
> programmable macro that performed a database operation (query/sort/etc.)
> whenever a particular spreadsheet operation was performed.
>
> Cliff Yamamoto

I don't have the documentation here & don't use spreadsheets but here is my
$.02 worth.  I belive you can grab data from the integrated database into a
spreadsheet.  I vaguely remember seeing macro commands for that while
browsing thru the manual.
It has a built in spreadsheet compatable with MS Excel & MS Multiplan &
Lotus 1-2-3 1A & 2.x spreadsheets.
It also has a built-in word-processor with spell checker & thesaurus,
and electronic communications.
The database allows you to create & store custom forms & reports.

Bob Prehn

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.163313.15580@terminator.cc.umich.edu$ jkenyon@us.cc.umich.edu (Jim Kenyon) writes:
$In article <1990Oct19.032936.6557@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov$ cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
$$for a way of searching for a item in a database (w/ some predicate), then
$$once the entry or entries have been found, bring it's values into the
$$spreadsheet.
$$
$$*THEN* if I change a value in the spreadsheet which affects the values
$$for one of my spreadsheet entries, it's new updated value is reflected
$$in the database respectively.
$$Cliff Yamamoto
$
$Try Lotus Symphony -- I thought it was a spreadsheet cum database.
$Also, Ashton Tate Framework might be of interest....

or if you want to do it on the cheap, try MicroSoft WORKS...

also, LOTUS-123 and Quattro (BORLAND) both have limited database
capabilities built in... maybe you could.....

*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/