[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP ! ! ! ! !

abcscnge@csun.UUCP (Scott Neugroschl) (10/06/87)

Help!!!! At work (not this address), some people in our department
are running III-ATLAS (BLUE MAX) 6/10 MHz AT clones.  We are attempting
to get MS XENIX 2.00 (sys V to you and me) running on them.

Problems:
	1) BIGGIE!!! Periodically we get the announcement:
		spurious hd interrupt.

	   The alert is NOT a panic.  After this occurs, the hard
	   disk is trashed, and also the only way out appears to be
	   the big red switch (yecch -- file system crash)....  On
	   reboot, the system can't even find /boot.  It appears
	   more often at 10MHz, but still shows up at 6 MHz.  Any
	   help would be amazingly appreciated.

	2) We can't talk on the serial ports in XENIX.  We are using
	   the manufacturers stock multi I/O card ("COURIER" -- 2 serial,
	   1 parallel, 1 game).  The serial ports work under DOS 3.3.  In
	   XENIX, we do an open("/dev/tty00",O_WRONLY); and the system
	   hangs.  A SIGINT will get us out of it.   Suggestions, answers,
	   religious opinions, etc....

	Post to the net and/or send E-mail to this UUCP address:
{humboldt,sdcrdcf,rdlvax,ttidca,}\_ csun!litvax!lits8k3!neugrosc
{psivax,csustan,nsc-sca,trwspf  }/

	Note that this is not the same as .signature!!!!

The above in no way reflects the opinions of CSUN, and a good thing
too, I might add, as they would be out of business in two days if
they paid any attention to me...

						Scott Neugroschl

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" -- S. Hammer

--
UUCP: {litvax,humboldt,sdcrdcf,rdlvax,ttidca,}\_ csun!abcscnge
      {psivax,csustan,nsc-sca,trwspf         }/

abcscnge@csun.UUCP (Scott Neugroschl) (10/07/87)

> in <789@csun.UUCP> I wrote
>
> Help!!!! At work (not this address), some people in our department
> are running III-ATLAS (BLUE MAX) 6/10 MHz AT clones.  We are attempting
> to get MS XENIX 2.00 (sys V to you and me) running on them.
>
> [ etc... ]

Further note:
	These machines are running Phoenix Bios 3.31 and have Western Digital
	FD/HD Controllers....

The above in no way reflects the opinions of CSUN, and a good thing
too, I might add, as they would be out of business in two days if
they paid any attention to me...

						Scott Neugroschl

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" -- S. Hammer

--
UUCP: {litvax,humboldt,sdcrdcf,rdlvax,ttidca,}\_ csun!abcscnge
      {psivax,csustan,nsc-sca,trwspf         }/

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (11/04/90)

$In <10090@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, okumura@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:
$	Can anyone out there tell me where I can find a copy of
$'lharc' ???  or better yet...send me a copy???

   I found both the most recent copy of the DOS executable and the Unix
source on a machine somewhere in Japan (sorry, I don't recall its name).
Anyone who would like the DOS version (uuencoded) or the Unix source
(compressed, tarred and uuencoded) is welcome to drop me a note stating
which (or both) they'd like, and I'll send copies to anyone whose return
address works from here.

   Speaking of LHarc, the DOS version said that they were finished with
version 1.x and would be working on version 2; has anyone heard anything
about it yet?

   And some notes for those who aren't familiar with this archiver:  it
produces archives which are generally comparable in size to those made
by PKZIP 1.02.  It tends to do better on smaller files than PKZIP.  Its
self-extraction code is more compact than PKZIP's and includes an option
to run a batch file once the files are all uncompressed (presumably, an
install-type program).  I'd only recommend using LHarc, though, if you
absolutely need the extra compression it can sometimes give or if you
can't get your hands on anything else that runs in more than one environ-
ment, since it is several times slower than PKZIP.
--
HI ROGER |Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."| silver@xrtll