[comp.sys.ibm.pc] interrupt driven serial I/O

sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr Booga (Krueger)) (11/14/88)

I am writing a simple BBS in Turbo C 2.0 and I would like to use interrupt
driven I/O.  I know it's possible, but I don't have the resources necessary
to find the information I need.  The ultimate goal is to have a system
where a caller and the sysop can use the BBS at the same time.

Any source code, explanations, pointers, or resources (magazines and books)
would be greatly appreciated.

thanks   (I will summarize any useful information I receive)
--
Steve Jankowski --------------------------------------------------------------
sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU                     The Box: home of booga, skot,
                                   |V|   |)      murph, kerry, ringo, mattbrau,
jigganoogiecornholerpoopershnapper | |r  |)ooga  sticky, vicky, porche, and p.

daanw@neabbs.UUCP (DAAN VAN DER WEIDE) (11/16/88)

How about using a FOSSIL driver ? It's public domain or shareware and
probably suits all your needs in relation to a BBS program.

D.A.A.N.

payne@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andrew Payne) (11/17/88)

In article <5728@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr Booga (Krueger)) writes:
>I am writing a simple BBS in Turbo C 2.0 and I would like to use interrupt
>driven I/O.  I know it's possible, but I don't have the resources necessary
>to find the information I need.  The ultimate goal is to have a system
>where a caller and the sysop can use the BBS at the same time.

	One thing you might want to look into is a serial port driver called
FOSSIL (I forgot what the acronym stands for).  Its a serial driver that
installs under MS-DOS as a device driver (e.g. in your CONFIG.SYS).  You
access it through one of the user INTs, and its a simple matter to write
some Turbo C functions to access the FOSSIL functions.

	One plus about the FOSSIL is that if you write your BBS in modules,
you have a minimal amount of serial support code in each module.  Also, you
don't have to worry about installing and de-installing interrupt vectors.
Finally, since the FOSSIL is always resident, you don't have to worry about
dropping characters between modules.

	Where can you get a FOSSIL driver?  Well, the FOSSIL "standard"
came from the Fido/Opus world, so you should be able to find a driver on
any FIDO/OPUS BBS worth its salt.  If you can't find a copy, drop me mail.

--
Andrew C. Payne               UUCP:  ...!cornell!batcomputer!payne

andrew@motto.UUCP (Andrew Walduck) (11/15/90)

Okay folks...

Does anyone out there have source for buffered interrupt driven serial I/O
on the PC??? 'C' will do, but I'll take whatever I can get...

Or in lieu of source, a pointer to good books about the subject???

Thanx in advance for your help...
Andrew Walduck
| Andrew Walduck | andrew@motto.UUCP | Motorola Canada |