[comp.sys.ibm.pc] what is the quickest

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (11/29/90)

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) writes:

> I've been downloading some files from BBS lately using a 1200 baud modem.
> I've been using Xmodem (CRC) mainly.
>
> I'd like to know what file transfer protocol is best for transferring
> a single file (as opposed to multiple files).

Zmodem... no competition on that for single OR multiple files.

> Since I'm using Procomm, I'm limited to the following:

Since you're using ProComm, you're just limited. (.5 smiley) Try Telix,
Boyan and/or Telemate, all of which (IMHO) beat ProComm hands down.
Telix and Telemate have Zmodem built in.

> Also, some BBS support some file transfer protocols that are not contained
> (by default) in Procomm (v2.4.2).  I understand that its possible to add
> additional protocols to Procomm somehow (though I never really followed
> thru on this).

If you're going to stay with ProComm, do follow through and add Zmodem.
(either DSZ or PCZ... PCZ is free)

--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG (David Deitch) (11/29/90)

The one you left out, in my book, is best for single or multiple
files.  ZMODEM.

     David Deitch (GIS)
          deitch@gisatl.fidonet.org
               1:133/411@fidonet
                    18:716/411@keshernet

David Deitch - via FidoNet node 1:133/411
UUCP: galbp!gisatl!david.deitch
INTERNET: david.deitch@gisatl.FIDONET.ORG

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/30/90)

I like kermit for most jobs. It's a little slower than Zmodem, but In my
experience more reliable. Also, Kermit with long packets erodes Z's speed
advantage.

-JT

lalibert@bcarh188.bnr.ca (Luc Laliberte) (11/30/90)

My brother once set up a download using ZMODEM.  He came back an hour
later expecting to be logged out.  (Autologout when download completed.)
But the modem was still chugging along with a block size of 1 byte!
He quickly brok out and used XMODEM.  Turns out if ZMODEM feels too many
errors are occuring it decreases the block size to reduce retransmission
time.  But if the trouble clears up, it doesn't increase the size.
What likely happened is the phone got picked up, giving mega noise, and
dropping the block size.
Otherwise ZMODEM is exceptionally fast, unless you are using MNP5 as well.
(The two blocking processes can interfere with each other) in which case
there's a YMODEM varient for that reason.  SEALINK and TELELINK also work
well if Y or ZMODEM are unavailable.