[comp.sys.ibm.pc] typing pains ...

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (12/31/90)

Hi.

Is there any good solutions to preventing the "tunnel carping" (forgot
the real name) syndrome?

I'm typing in my dorm room and my wrists rest upon the edge of the
table that my computer is on.  My wrists are really starting to hurt.
The desk is rather high compared to the height of my chair and the
computer takes up room in front of the keyboard so that I can't move
the keyboard back for more flat space to rest my wrists on.

Any information would be appreciated.  Email me directly or post here.

Pedro Quien?		peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu		Peter K. Wu

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.015926.1180@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
> Hi.
>
> Is there any good solutions to preventing the "tunnel carping" (forgot
> the real name) syndrome?

It's carpal tunnel for the carpal and metacarpal bones in the hand.

> I'm typing in my dorm room and my wrists rest upon the edge of the
> table that my computer is on.  My wrists are really starting to hurt.
> The desk is rather high compared to the height of my chair and the
> computer takes up room in front of the keyboard so that I can't move
> the keyboard back for more flat space to rest my wrists on.

CompuAdd is listing several very inexpensive (~$20.00) keyboard drawers
that mount under the desk. You need two things: a keyboard height of about
25 to 27 inches rather than the desk height of 29 to 30 inches, and a wrist
rest which is a bar about 1-1/2 inch wide at the fron of the keyboard
drawer and about one inch high. The keyboard drawer will pull out from
the bottom surface of the desk giving you more space. There is also a
mouse platform that can be attached. If you can, go look in one of the
CompuAdd stores as there are several models of drawers listed. Sorry I
don't have the phone, but they advertise in most PC magazines.

No connection, etc., just browsing catalogs and noticed low price.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language is to cast spells on other people ..."
								Lisa S Chabot

gruen@macs.UUCP (gruen) (01/04/91)

In article <1990Dec31.040239.22509@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
> In article <1990Dec31.015926.1180@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
> >Hi.
> >Is there any good solutions to preventing the "tunnel carping" (forgot
> >the real name) syndrome?

[Ideas on preventing deleted]

> Third, if you do have pain in your wrists, and especially if the pain
> persists after typing, or if you find moving your fingers to be
> uncomfortable, see a doctor immediately.  If you ignore the warning
> signs, the condition can become very serious.

Even better, if you believe it really is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, visit
your local chiropractor.  He/She should be able to take care of the
problem without surgery or medication.

I'm not a MD or a DC (doctor of Chiropractic), but my dad _is_ a DC.

--Vicky Gruen

|The best medicine is none at all...A CS major w/nothing better to do|
|May your programs work right the first try.....;->                  |