[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386SX Motherboards

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (06/29/89)

Greetings, netlanders.

My brother (who is not on the net) is currently looking for a 386sx
motherboard to replace an old 286 board.   He is looking for the
following:

	1.	386 sx
	2.	Able to take 256 as well as 1 meg simms
	3.	Able to run MS-DOS, Unix, SCO Xenix

It would be nice for it to fit into a baby-AT case, but that is not
absolutely necessary.

Please e-mail, I will summarize if there is any interest (or responses),
also I do not get all of the newsgroups this is being posted to.

Thank you in advance.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (07/06/89)

On June 30, I sent out the following request for information on 386sx
motherboards.

}Greetings, netlanders.
}
}My brother (who is not on the net) is currently looking for a 386sx
}motherboard to replace an old 286 board.   He is looking for the
}following:
}
}	1.	386 sx
}	2.	Able to take 256 as well as 1 meg simms
}	3.	Able to run MS-DOS, Unix, SCO Xenix
}
}It would be nice for it to fit into a baby-AT case, but that is not
}absolutely necessary.
}
}Please e-mail, I will summarize if there is any interest (or responses),
}also I do not get all of the newsgroups this is being posted to.
}
}Thank you in advance.
}
}
}JB

I have received the following replies (slightly edited):

From John H. Lawitzke:

}From: uunet!frith!frith.egr.msu.edu!dale1!jhl
}
}
}The company I work for sells 386SX motherboards. They:
}
}have 8 SIMM slots and can take 256K or 1M SIMMs
}I've personally used it with both MS-DOS v3.3 and SCO XENIX 386 v2.3.1
}
}Our motherboards are all designed and tested inhouse.
}
}It is a 16MHz board with no cache. According to the Byte low level
}benchmarks, the Compaq 386SX machine is a 1.86 and ours rates a 2.03.
}
}The board itself can replace an XT motherboard. I had a vanilla IBM PC/XT
}at home which I've successfully upgraded with the sx board.
}
}I have no idea what they sell for. I work in R&D and am far away from the
}day to day business details. For pricing info or glossies call
}(517)349-0200 and ask for someone in sales. Our company is mainly
}oriented towards selling to VARs and VADs, but the board sounds like
}what you're looking for, so it's worth a shot.

From Kevin Allred:

}From: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!allred (Kevin L. Allred)
}
}I'm looking to get a 386SX too.  I don't even have a 286 now, but I
}can tell you what I have found out.  Mylex, just started making an SX
}motherbord.  I called one of the distributers just this morning, and
}they haven't received any yet.  They told me the price will be even lower
}than the one quoted in their add in the back of PCweek.  The price I
}was quoted is $465 0K -- $200 per meg of 256k 100ns SIMMS -- $720 per
}4 meg of 1Mb 100ns SIMMS.  The board will hold 8 SIMMS total added in
}sets of 4 -- 1MB, 2MB, 4MB, 5MB, and 8MB.  The company is:
}
}MicroSource Distributors
}1-800-326-4276
}
}I also got info from:
}
}HOMESMART COMPUTING
}Houston, TX
}1-800-627-6998
}
}Their 386SX motherboard is $595 0K. and holds only 2MB max with 256x4
}dips.  It takes a special memory card -- $100+ -- to be able to go up
}to 8MB.  I wounder if they will lower their prices when they find out
}about the Mylex board.
}

From Randy Jarrett:

}From: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!gatech.edu!wa4mei!rsj (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI)
}
}
}There is a company in Marietta Georgia by the name of Peripherial Technology,
}Inc. that has some high speed 286 boards and 386sx systems.  I don't have their
}address but the phone number is (404) 984-0742. Ask for Fredrick Brown and tell
}him that I sent you.

From bill davidsen:

}
}From: uunet!crdgw1.crd.ge.com!davidsen (William E. Davidsen Jr)
}
}WAVE-MATE is an old company (I bought S-100 stuff from them) which now
}offers a 386-SX board. They advertize in _Info World_ and prices run
}from $800/0MB to $1300/4MB. I haven't tried this product, but I have
}been satisfied with their previous products.

Thank you all for your replies.

JB
--

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (01/11/91)

From article <7488@plains.NoDak.edu>, by myhre@plains.NoDak.edu (Robert Myhre):

>   I am looking into buying a 386SX-16 motherboard and I was hoping someone
> out there in net-land can tell me what I should look for and what I should
> be wary of.  Some of the questions are like what are good brand names for
> the motherboards, what type of memory should it have, etc.  I don't have any
> ideas on what kinds of questions I should be asking so please tell me
> everything and anything you feel is important.  I suppose you can just mail
> me and then I will post a follow up.  Thanks

I too was looking for a 386SX motherboard a couple of months ago, but was
told repeatedly by different mail-order houses that due to short supply
of the 386SX mb, they are only selling SX as a system.  One guy said
that the big japanese firms are snatching up the SX mb's.  Does anyone
know if the SX mb is still in short supply and is the japanese thing
true?

Thanks in advance

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (01/13/91)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:

> I too was looking for a 386SX motherboard a couple of months ago, but was
> told repeatedly by different mail-order houses that due to short supply
> of the 386SX mb, they are only selling SX as a system.  One guy said
> that the big japanese firms are snatching up the SX mb's.  Does anyone
> know if the SX mb is still in short supply and is the japanese thing
> true?

I have heard that (in Canada at least, which is pretty similiar to the US)
the shortage isn't as bad as it was a few months ago. About the Japanese
buying up all the boards, from what I heard the problem is in Europe, where
apparently they are paying much higher prices for the boards as PCs pick up
in popularity.