[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Challenge! Upgrade an old IBM PC

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (03/19/91)

markw@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (mark williams) writes:
>My two cents worth:  don't bother.  Buy a new clone and sell the PC.
>
>There are several reasons for this comment.  I've been through this once and
>wish I hadn't.
>
>Power Supply:  The original power supply won't supply enough power for a
>hard disk (it's a 65 watt unit).  All right, new supply (135 watt minimum, say $80).
>
>Chassis:  The card to card spacing doesn't match the new BABY AT 286 boards,
>which have 8 slots instead of five.  OK, new box (say $60, for a taller AT
>box with the right spacing).
>
>Keyboard:  By the way, you also need the 101 key AT keyboard (say $70).
>
>What have you preserved of the original PC?   Perhaps video board and
>monitor...  What, it's a CGA??

One more item, Mark:  The motherboard.  It's an 8-bit bus with 8-bit
slots.  The 286 is a 16-bit chip.  Any worthwhile expansion cards will
also need a 16-bit slot.  (The original post stated the owner would put
a 286 card on the original motherboard.)

Gosh, with a new 386SX with VGA costing less than what you would spend
for the "upgrade", I just don't get it.  Deed the old machine to some
elementary school and write it off on your taxes.

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */