[comp.sys.ibm.pc] emacs, command-line editing SUMMARY

wytten@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dale Wyttenbach) (03/29/91)

>emacs for DOS available?

The responses I got indicate that freemacs is indeed the best.
I also asked about etags for freemacs, and I have now obtained a
copy.

>Is there a way that I can use emacs-style command-line editing?

I've been told that I should get 4dos, a replacement for
command.com for which you can select your own key bindings.

>I automatically type ^P to back up the history list; this has the
>unfortunate effect of sending output to the printer port.

The question that remains is how to disable this effect for ^P,
so that I can use it to scroll backwards through the history list.

Thanks to all who responded (and to anyone who may have followed-up;
I'm not subscribed to this group)

dale

--
 Dale Wyttenbach     | We all shine on,