[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM + Windows386 enhanced mode for AST --how

vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) (03/25/91)

Hi,

	Send me a copy too please.

	Thanks in advance.

Michael

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (03/26/91)

Unless Quarterdeck have stated outright that QEMM 5.1 is compatible with Windows386 Enhanced mode I think I'd be careful about my assumptions. My experience
with windows indicates that getting a foreign memory manager to work comfortablywith windows' own is not at all easy. Worse still it is not particularly safe
to be emulating or using expanded memory in enhanced mode which uses extended
memory. This causes frequent switching and possible timing problems.

Why do you have to use QEMM - cant emm386.sys do the job?

Regards,
	Dan C.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (03/28/91)

In article <39010003@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:
>Unless Quarterdeck have stated outright that QEMM 5.1 is compatible with Windows386 Enhanced mode I think I'd be careful about my assumptions. My experience
>with windows indicates that getting a foreign memory manager to work comfortablywith windows' own is not at all easy. Worse still it is not particularly safe
>to be emulating or using expanded memory in enhanced mode which uses extended
>memory. This causes frequent switching and possible timing problems.
>
>Why do you have to use QEMM - cant emm386.sys do the job?

There are many things that qemm does that himem/emm386 don't do. Like
properly handle upper memory blocks, allowing you to loadhi drivers and TSR's.

Yes, Quarterdeck has oficially said that 5.11 is compatible with windows. I
use it with my SCSI based 386/25 clone with no trouble. I can loadhi lots of
stuff and save over 30K of lower memory so I have over 580K available to DOS.
Other people have actually been able to get 600K free.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (03/29/91)

Now, I'm confused.

If you run Win3 in 386 Enhanced Mode, each application is given as much
room as needed (or more if you specify it in the .PIF file) in its own
virtual machine.  Where is the advantage, then, of loadhi anything?

As asked before, what do you get that you wouldn't get running with just
himem.sys and win /3 ?????  (or adding emm386.sys, for that matter, if
you plan to run something outside of Windows?)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (04/01/91)

/ rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) /  1:20 am  Mar 29, 1991 / writes:

> Now, I'm confused.
>
> If you run Win3 in 386 Enhanced Mode, each application is given as much
> room as needed (or more if you specify it in the .PIF file) in its own
> virtual machine.  Where is the advantage, then, of loadhi anything?

Each "Windows" application to be specific. Not if you want to run
DOS sessions also. The amount of conventional memory you get in each
DOS session is slightly less than what you have just before you start
Windows.

So, if you can load as much TSRs (keyboard enhancer, disk cache,
mouse driver etc. etc.) into high memory as possible before starting
Windows you get more conventional memory for each DOS session you open
under Windows.

> As asked before, what do you get that you wouldn't get running with just
> himem.sys and win /3 ?????  (or adding emm386.sys, for that matter, if
> you plan to run something outside of Windows?)

See above.

Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, your are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>