[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pcdos 5.0

aadm@uncecs.edu (Atkins D. Michael) (04/04/91)

does anyone have any hard info on pcdos 5.0.  i know that it is in beta
testing but that's all.  here's my reason for asking - our systems
are required to use ibm software because of support reasons.  we
have about 100 sites across the state and all have to be the same
version.  while most sites are 386 machines with 120mb or less
hard disks we are now getting some with 486 and >320mb drives.
our software is very sensitive to tsr's and must have >572 of
free memory (low 640).  with the drivers and required configuration
we are very close to that limit with no frills therefore have to
use 3.3 as the overhead even without the shell in 4.1 puts us over
the limit.  we must also use the
subst
 command to set certain
subdir to drives h-p hence the need to increase the size of the logical
drives inorder to reduce the number of physical drives to only 5 or
less.

specific questions:
  1.  what is minimum amount of overhead required for 5.0
  2.  does 5.0 allow >32mb drives w/o additional overhead
  3.  expected release date
4. expected upgrade cost

any informed help will be greatly appreciated

c60b-1eq@web-1c.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.033316.14074@uncecs.edu> aadm@uncecs.edu (Atkins D. Michael) writes:

> ... deleted text ...
>our software is very sensitive to tsr's and must have >572 of
>free memory (low 640).  with the drivers and required configuration
>we are very close to that limit with no frills therefore have to
>use 3.3 as the overhead even without the shell in 4.1 puts us over
>the limit ...
> ... deleted text ...

Have you considered loading the TSRs and device drivers into high
memory (i.e., memory above 640K)?  This is possible on a 386 (and
486, I assume) using software such as Quarterdeck's QEMM, assuming
you have at least 1M installed the system.

| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |