[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sound cards

Patrick.Mcclendon@f36.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patrick Mcclendon) (01/17/90)

If there are any Sound Blaster users out there let me know!
I have access to over 300 Adlib, Sound Blaster, CMS files and am constantly
looking to trade.  For those who haven't heard these cards the Sound is truly
incredible.  You have go to hear them to believe.  IBM machine have finally
reached the creativity market in full force with these new cards!
Patrick McClendon
Patrick Mcclendon == ...!usceast!uscacm!36!Patrick.Mcclendon

stratton@mrsvr.UUCP (Ninja Programmer) (01/24/90)

From article <219.25B5861F@uscacm.UUCP>, by Patrick.Mcclendon@f36.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patrick Mcclendon):
> If there are any Sound Blaster users out there let me know!
> I have access to over 300 Adlib, Sound Blaster, CMS files and am constantly
> looking to trade.  For those who haven't heard these cards the Sound is truly
> incredible.  You have go to hear them to believe.  IBM machine have finally
> reached the creativity market in full force with these new cards!
> Patrick McClendon
> --
> --
> Patrick Mcclendon == ...!usceast!uscacm!36!Patrick.Mcclendon

Hey I just purchased an Adlib card, and the sound is pretty good,
but I think it sounds a little "pinggy" I would like to get my hands
on some of those source files, but I dont have any to trade 8-{ if
you are feeling generous though....... 8-]

--
  My address is stratton@mrsvr.uucp
				{uwvax, rutgers}uwmcsd1!mrsvr!stratton

			Thanx alot in advance         Greg S.

kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Karl R. Buck) (01/24/90)

In article <1934@mrsvr.UUCP> stratton@mrsvr.UUCP (Ninja Programmer) writes:
>From article <219.25B5861F@uscacm.UUCP>, by Patrick.Mcclendon@f36.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Patrick Mcclendon):
>> If there are any Sound Blaster users out there let me know!
	[Info about sound blaster deleted]
>Hey I just purchased an Adlib card, and the sound is pretty good,
	[Info about ad lib deleted]

I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
to get a good price? Seems to me I remember a while back that the only source
for ad lib was the makers of the board; Is this still the case? What is
considered a good price for these cards? Thanks in advance.

--
 | 731 Moro               | POPEYE@KSUVM.KSU.EDU   | "Teeth like baseballs,   |
 | Manhattan, KS  66502   | kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu |eyes like jellied fire"HST|

slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Philip Lin) (01/24/90)

In article <1990Jan23.190323.3614@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Karl R. Buck) writes:

>I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
>to get a good price? Seems to me I remember a while back that the only source
>for ad lib was the makers of the board; Is this still the case? What is
>considered a good price for these cards? Thanks in advance.

I've seen them at Egghead for $179.99, suggested retail $199.99.  I don't
know if that's a good price, but I know you can get a $20 rebate coupon in
certain games that support the board.  I got my coupon when I bought
"Their Finest Hour" by Lucasfilm Games.  It's effective till June 30, 1990.

hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) (01/24/90)

In article <21382@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>In article <1990Jan23.190323.3614@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Karl R. Buck) writes:
>>
>>I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
>
>I've seen them at Egghead for $179.99, suggested retail $199.99.  I don't

I just recieved an AdLib catalog in the mail. They are selling it direct
for $179.95 card only, $245.00 for card, software and manuals. They also
have a lot of programs and song librarys available.

I saw this thing perform at the consumer electronic show earlier this
month and was quite impressed. I'd like to get one but I really hate
paying that much for a board with 8 chips and one transistor, probably
5 bucks worth of parts. Oh well, gotta pay ta play!

 Their order number is (800)463-2686

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/25/90)

->>I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
->>to get a good price? Seems to me I remember a while back that the only source
->>for ad lib was the makers of the board; Is this still the case? What is
[..]
->I've seen them at Egghead for $179.99, suggested retail $199.99.  I don't
->know if that's a good price, but I know you can get a $20 rebate coupon in
[..]

  Soft Warehouse sells them (everyday) for $139.  While they are better
  then paying list, I find EggHead to be fairly high priced.  Unless it is
  a "super special", I can typically find it 10%-20% cheaper at S.W.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

styamane@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stanley Tooru Aiichi Yamane) (01/25/90)

Does anyone on the net have any information about the Sound Blaster card
recently released by CMS?  I've seen the review in Compute, but that seemed
to be more hype than anything.  CMS claims that the board will work with
programs made for their Game Blaster card and also for the Adlib card.
What I'd like to know is exactly how compatible the card is (has anyone
tested it with Adlib software; did it work? did it work well?), and how
well the other features of the board are implemented (ie. sampling, MIDI
[a $50 option], etc.) For example, what is the maximum sampling rate of the
card?  (I know the MIDI implementation is not Roland MPU-401 compatible)

Anyone have the answers?
Stanley Yamane (styamane@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (01/25/90)

>I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
>to get a good price? Seems to me I remember a while back that the only source
>for ad lib was the makers of the board; Is this still the case? What is
>considered a good price for these cards? Thanks in advance.

Sierra OnLine (the producers of the various Quest games) will sell
you an Adlib or Roland (MT-32 or LAPC-1) music card AT COST.
They want you to have a music card because their games all use
them heavily. Their later games (King's Quest 3, Space Quest 3,
Leisure Suit Larry 3) all have fabulous musical scores and sound effects
with these cards especially with the Roland cards.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

stratton@mrsvr.UUCP (Ninja Programmer) (01/25/90)

From article <12379@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, by hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch):
> I just recieved an AdLib catalog in the mail. They are selling it direct
> for $179.95 card only, $245.00 for card, software and manuals. They also
> have a lot of programs and song librarys available.
>
> I saw this thing perform at the consumer electronic show earlier this
> month and was quite impressed. I'd like to get one but I really hate
> paying that much for a board with 8 chips and one transistor, probably
> 5 bucks worth of parts. Oh well, gotta pay ta play!
>
>  Their order number is (800)463-2686

Here in the great white north (Wis.) there is a chain of stores called
babbages that sells the card alone for ~ $140.00. If you buy any of the
games that uses the board, there is a $20 rebate coupon inside. So you
can bring the price down to about $120. ( I also had a $20 off coupon
for the store so that brought my price down to $100. Just what I was
willing to spend!!!)

PS. When I say card alone, that is not entirely true. It did come with
	the "Jukebox", and a bunch of silly songs, but you don't need any
	of that stuff. Just plug it in, and it plays if your software knows
	how to use it.
--

kevin@horizon.UUCP (Kevin Criqui) (01/25/90)

styamane@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Stanley Tooru Aiichi Yamane) writes:

>Does anyone on the net have any information about the Sound Blaster card
>recently released by CMS?

>What I'd like to know is exactly how compatible the card is (has anyone
>tested it with Adlib software; did it work? did it work well?), and how
>well the other features of the board are implemented (ie. sampling, MIDI
>[a $50 option], etc.) For example, what is the maximum sampling rate of the
>card?  (I know the MIDI implementation is not Roland MPU-401 compatible)
>Anyone have the answers?

I managed to get a Sound Blaster a few weeks ago and I like it a lot.  As far
as I can tell, it is 100% compatible with the AdLib.  The AdLib Jukebox program
runs fine and Leisure Suit Larry loves it.

I haven't yet gotten the midi option, but I will someday soon so I can connect
my CZ-101 to it.  You are right, the midi interface is not MPU-401 compatible.
Probably a major bummer since none of the existing  software will support it.

The sampler also works great.  With the software provided, you can sample at
5000-13000 Hz.  At 11000 Hz, the results are quite good.  I understand that
the on-board DSP can play back samples at 25KHz, but I haven't tried that yet.

My only complaint is the lack of a programmers interface.  There is a minimal
description of how to talk to the digitizer through the CMS device driver, but
no code.  I hear there is a developers kit available for ~$100.

>Stanley Yamane (styamane@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

	_kevin
--
       |  Kevin Criqui                    ...!hp-sdd!horizon!kevin  |
       |  Science Horizons, Inc.             kevin@horizon.CSS.GOV  |

kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Karl R. Buck) (01/25/90)

In article <1640045@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>I'm interested in purchasing one of these cards. What is a good source to go
>>to get a good price? Seems to me I remember a while back that the only source
>>for ad lib was the makers of the board; Is this still the case? What is
>>considered a good price for these cards? Thanks in advance.
>
>Sierra OnLine (the producers of the various Quest games) will sell
>you an Adlib or Roland (MT-32 or LAPC-1) music card AT COST.

First, let me thank all the people that replied to my previous posting. So far
I have yet to run into anyone who got any super deals on *any* sound card. After
reading the above posting I thought it importiant to clarify that Seirra does
*not* offer the best deal for the Ad Lib card, ( I have several of their
games ). With a $20 rebate coupon thier price is ~$175 (US); The best price
around seems to be about $140 at _retail_ stores (amazing).

I thought for sure there would be at least one mail order company that carried
them at reduced cost. I guess not, (sigh). Current prices are just too high
for sound boards to become wildly popular; I only hope that they follow the
trends of the rest of the computer market: Emphasize mail order, and reduce
cost as competition increases.

BTW, I'm still interested in any new information on this subject. Just Email
me any input and I'd be grateful. Thanks.

--
 | 731 Moro               | POPEYE@KSUVM.KSU.EDU   | Be cool, be hip,   |
 | Manhattan, KS  66502   | kxb@phobos.cis.ksu.edu | be an Engineer.    |

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (02/01/90)

>  I mentioned before that Soft Warehouse carries the "with music stuff"
>  Adlib card for $139.  They also carry the "stripped" version for about
>  $99.  They have several stores around the US and do do (8-0) mail order.
>  Don't have the number handy.  If you are really hard up, dial-up
>  1-213-555-1212, city Torrance, ask for their number, call and get
>  a catalog and their closest store....
>Marc Ries
>           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

These are GREAT prices. They are so great that I wonder if you will
actually get the cards at those prices. Have you actually bought the Adlib
from this place at these prices? I know of many cases of mail order
places advertising great prices that vanish when you try to buy them
or what happens is they take your money and hold on to it for a
long period before actually shipping the product. In effect they are
making money off the interest from your payment. That's why they
can offer such a low price.

bobc@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Bob Calbridge) (02/02/90)

`
` These are GREAT prices. They are so great that I wonder if you will
` actually get the cards at those prices. Have you actually bought the Adlib
` from this place at these prices? I know of many cases of mail order
` places advertising great prices that vanish when you try to buy them
` or what happens is they take your money and hold on to it for a
` long period before actually shipping the product. In effect they are
` making money off the interest from your payment. That's why they
` can offer such a low price.

I bought mine at this price and it included the Visual Composer, which is fine
to some extent, but it is a rather lengthy procedure.  At any rate, I did have
the good fortune to be able to pick it up directly.

Concerning your concept of holding orders, I don't see the point in doing this.
I don't know how much of their business is mail order, but it isn't their
main business.  If you saw the amount of walk-in business they have you would
probably get the same impression I did about what percentage of their business
would be retail.  I don't think that the percentage of your money that they
might get from holding your order for a few weeks would be worth the effort.
=    More stupid questions available on request from                          =
-     bobc@attctc                     Your humble servant (real humble)       -

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (02/03/90)

>I bought mine at this price and it included the Visual Composer, which is fine
>to some extent, but it is a rather lengthy procedure.  At any rate, I did have
>the good fortune to be able to pick it up directly.

It's is nice to know that such a price is for real. I know several people
who have asked me for cheap sources for these cards.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/03/90)

In article <1640050@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>These are GREAT prices. They are so great that I wonder if you will
>actually get the cards at those prices. Have you actually bought the Adlib
>from this place at these prices? I know of many cases of mail order
>places advertising great prices that vanish when you try to buy them
>or what happens is they take your money and hold on to it for a
>long period before actually shipping the product. In effect they are
>making money off the interest from your payment. That's why they
>can offer such a low price.

I was IN a Soft Warehouse several days ago, and they had several of the
AdLib packages sitting out, and one on demo (the machine was running Red
Dawn, I believe).  It's not just a mail order company.

eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) (02/10/90)

I have seen the sound blaster being sold at several RADIO SHACKS for a
price just under $100.00.  As for sampling and other features, I am not
sure about them.

eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) (02/10/90)

Sorry, That wasnt the sound blaster at RS, it was the game blaster for
$100.00.

yu-d@dory.cis.ohio-state.edu (David T Yu) (02/10/90)

    The Sound Blaster for ~$100?  If I recall correctly CMS has two cards out. One is a low end model for games and is pretty cheap.  I've also heard that it doesn't sound as good as the AdLib (I'm an AdLib owner).  The other one is more expensive and has sampling capabilites as well as a non-MPU401 midi interface.  I think the cheap one is called the GameBlaster and the more extensive one is called The Sound Blaster.  Of course I may be wrong and it's the other way around.  Oh well, I got an AdLib.

David Yu
The Ohio State University

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (02/10/90)

In article <QZopID200VE10P93on@andrew.cmu.edu>, eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) writes:
> I have seen the sound blaster being sold at several RADIO SHACKS for a
> price just under $100.00.  As for sampling and other features, I am not
> sure about them.

You mean the Game Blaster not the Adlib compatible Sound Blaster!

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ second choice:                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

greenstr@cstw75.prl.philips.nl (Roland Greenstreet) (02/13/90)

>To: morten@hpserv2.uit.no

I have posted this here has I have been unable to send you mail.

this is the info I have so far on the Sound Blaster ( I think
the Game Blaster is the same thing). When I find out where you
can get one from and I have completed the list I will send you more
info.

Game Blaster
12 voices, optional MIDI, internal card, sounds programmable with
additional software, supported (in part or whole by)
Accolade, Dynamix, Lucasfilm, Mindscape, Origin, Sierra On-Line

Hope this helps

Roland J Greenstreet

ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BROWN) (02/14/90)

>In article <1640050@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>` >  I mentioned before that Soft Warehouse carries the "with music stuff"
>` >  Adlib card for $139.  They also carry the "stripped" version for about
>` >  $99.  They have several stores around the US and do do (8-0) mail order.

In a previous message, someone mentioned that the Sound Blaster card was
a sort of union between the AdLib card and the Game Blaster card.  Does
anyone know of a distributor that carries the Sound Blaster card?  I'd
kind of like to get one, but in my ignorance, I foolishly forgot who
carried the dang thing.

Eric Brown                       ...!{sun, uunet, uw-beaver}!microsof!ericbr
These are my opinions.  If they were Microsoft's, you would pay $500 for them.

"... if you really stop to think about it, Bambi is a parable of sexism,
nihilism, and despair, portraying absentee fathers and passive mothers
in a world of death and violence."  -- Roger Ebert

umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Hudson) (02/14/90)

  Well I've got a SOUND BLASTER, and it's kinda neat, but does anyone have/
know where I can get stuff to put it to work?  I've got some somple stuff
that came with it, and it works with games, but does anyone have any sound
samples/players/editors or know where to get some?
--
umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca  "The more things change, the more they stay insane."

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/14/90)

In article <1029@prles2.prl.philips.nl> greenstr@cst.prl.philips.nl () writes:
>this is the info I have so far on the Sound Blaster ( I think
>the Game Blaster is the same thing). When I find out where you

NO!!!  The Sound Blaster is a superset of the Game Blaster -- it is
basically an AdLib card plus the Game Blaster plus another voice for speech
synthesis.  They are NOT the same.

umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Wayne Hudson) (02/15/90)

In article <50016@microsoft.UUCP> ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BROWN) writes:
>Does
>anyone know of a distributor that carries the Sound Blaster card?  I'd
>kind of like to get one, but in my ignorance, I foolishly forgot who
>carried the dang thing.
>
>Eric Brown                       ...!{sun, uunet, uw-beaver}!microsof!ericbr
>These are my opinions.  If they were Microsoft's, you would pay $500 for them.
>
>"... if you really stop to think about it, Bambi is a parable of sexism,
>nihilism, and despair, portraying absentee fathers and passive mothers
>in a world of death and violence."  -- Roger Ebert

 Well my manual says:
          CREATIVE LABS, INC.
          131 South Maple Avenue #6,
          South San Francisco, CA  94080
Hope it helps ya.
--
umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca  "The more things change, the more they stay insane."

cpawn@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Andrew W Nicholson) (04/05/91)

I was wanting to know peoples opinions on different sound cards.

What I need to know is if you have one, then:-

	1) What is its name
	2) Who makes it
	3) Where can I get one (in Australia)
	4) What can it do
	5) How much is it
	6) How does it compare with other cards (personal experience)

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but if I get enough replies,
I will post some form of result.

Please E-Mail to cpawn@marlin.jcu.edu.au.

					Andrew.

--