[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview disk access and PCKWIK

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (04/02/91)

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

>I have a 386 with 4MB of RAM. I run Desqview386 and use PCKWIK's disk
>cache program.

>Recently I uploaded PCMAG's ansi.com (replacement for ansi.sys) to try
>out. However, when I ran it in a Desqview window, the strangest thing
>happened: my disk access went through the roof. I ran the benchmark
>program that came with PCKWIK, and disk access was a fast in the
>window (nearly) as it was without Desqview.

>2) Has anybody else noticed this?

I run a 386-33 with 4Mb under QEMM 5.11 and DV 2.31, and disk access
in a window is within 10% of the speed of disk access outside of DV
(about 900Kb/sec and about 960Kb/sec, respectively, without PCKWIK,
and about 5500Kb/sec and 6000Kb/sec, respectively, with a 1Mb PCKWIK
cache -- all measurements made by CoreTest).  So my answer to your
question 2. is that I have not had the problem you describe.

However, I do see a peculiar PCKWIK behaviour in DV.  When PCKWIK is
loaded with the /Q+ switch, which enables return of the prompt before
disk activity is completed, this feature works perfectly, but not in a
DESQview window.  Anybody have an explanation of this?

//richard

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (04/06/91)

In article <22199@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>However, I do see a peculiar PCKWIK behaviour in DV.  When PCKWIK is
>loaded with the /Q+ switch, which enables return of the prompt before
>disk activity is completed, this feature works perfectly, but not in a
>DESQview window.  Anybody have an explanation of this?

Here is the feedback from Multisoft:
"As to the Q switch in DV, Superpck makes some internal adjustments to itself
when it detects DesqView loading.  As a result of these, O+ and Q+ are
turned off."

Multisoft on CompuServe can be reached at 76004.151@compuserve.com.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao