[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Duplicating System Disk without Format

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (04/07/91)

I have a 5.25" system floppy that I would like to convert to 3.25".
Unfortunately, the only system I have with both size disks is a clone
that cannot run the version of DOS on that floppy.

Since the floppies are different sizes, I can`t use diskcopy.

Since the clone can't run the version of DOS on the floppy, I can't run
the version of format that would copy the system from the floppy.

Is there some other way to do the conversion? Perhaps the system files
could be copied with some other program.

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

richard@murna.asis.unimelb.edu.au (Richard Begg) (04/09/91)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

>I have a 5.25" system floppy that I would like to convert to 3.25".
>Unfortunately, the only system I have with both size disks is a clone
>that cannot run the version of DOS on that floppy.

>Since the floppies are different sizes, I can`t use diskcopy.

Are you sure?  I have used diskcopy to copy different sized disks
heaps of times, it will automatically adjust to the different formats.
In this case I think you will end up with a 360KB 3.5" system disk.

---

Richard Begg (richard@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au)
Programmer ASIS/ITS - University of Melbourne

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (04/10/91)

>Is there some other way to do the conversion? Perhaps the system files
>could be copied with some other program.

I just did this as a test.  I used PC Magazine's ATTR.COM to unset the S,H,R
attributes of the two hidden files, copied them first to the other diskette,
then copied COMMAND.COM.  The new diskette booted just fine.