[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Automatic software testing

fritchie@sachiko.acc.stolaf.edu (Scott Fritchie) (05/01/91)

Greetings Net-Land!

As part of our monthly software release cycle, we do a *large* amount
of testing.  Currently, this testing involves a lot of testing by hand:
using a 120+ page test script, a human types in data, compares the
results on the screen to what the test script expects, .....

What we'd like to do is automate much of the human-based testing we
currently do.  The ideal package would be one that would:
	1. record and play back keystrokes
	2. capture screen text (and attributes)
	3. compare captured screens to "correct" screens

Our applications are text only and do not use a mouse.  The ideal
package, however, ought to be able to deal with them as well.

We've evaluated one package about 8 months ago, CAPBAK (?).  We sent
it back because of various annoying "features" and limitations.

Are there any DOS packages that will help us automating this testing,
or are we simply dreaming?

						-Scott
---
  Scott Fritchie, 4810 Underwood Ave., Omaha, NE 68132-2420 USA  402.553.4084
     Government Services, American Express's Integrated Marketing Services
 Play: fritchie@acc.stolaf.edu  ..!umn-cs!stolaf!fritchie  Work: 402.498.2124
   "Yeah, boss, I'll be in late today.  UNIX refuses to boot on my Ford."

anicolao@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alex Nicolaou) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.201322.980@news.stolaf.edu> fritchie@sachiko.acc.stolaf.edu (Scott Fritchie) writes:

>What we'd like to do is automate much of the human-based testing we
>currently do.  The ideal package would be one that would:
>	1. record and play back keystrokes
>	2. capture screen text (and attributes)
>	3. compare captured screens to "correct" screens
>
>Are there any DOS packages that will help us automating this testing,
>or are we simply dreaming?

 ** There are a few such things on the market. The one I remember
was by a company called Atron (sp?), called the `Atron Evaluator'.
It gave you complete control of the test environment, comparing
screens and portions of screens, simulating both keystrokes and
mouse moves and clicks. It wasn't perfect with the mouse, but it
was certainly adequate.

alex