[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386, AMI & dos Format.......

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (05/02/91)

In article <4c6EBgS00Uh700iaAW@andrew.cmu.edu> eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) writes:
>Help!
>
>I've replaced the 286-10 motherboard in my AT clone with a 386DX motherboard
>running at 16/20 Mhz, with AMI bios w/setup & xsetup in rom (APR 9, 1990).
>
>                            ^floppy
>The problem is that all three drives refuse to format floppys.They all report
>sector 0 bad and refuse to continue.  They're set correctly in setup, they
>can read and write on pre-formated disks, and all other system functions are
>working ok.  Two are on a standard MFM hard/floppy card, the other (720k)
>is on it's own drive card w/bios.  Ive tried removing the 720k, changing
>wait states, other dos versions, pulling all cards out to no avail.
>
>Can anyone help with this problem, or at least provide a phone# for AMI?
I recently bought a 25MHZ 386 with the bios described above.  After, I
installed a third floppy (installed: a:1.2M b:1.44M c:360K) and get the
same error (sector 0 bad) when I try to format a HD floppy on th 360K
drive as a 360K disk.  I know this is no solution, but MAYBE are you
trying to format HD floppies in a DD drive? 360k or 720?

Just a thought.