[comp.sys.ibm.pc] mv command

root@swatty.UUCP (Superuser) (05/03/91)

Does anybody out there have a version of mv for dos that works reasonably
well and does not require another package (like the one that comes with
PC-NFS, it does not seem to work properly without NFS up and going)..

Thanx,

Larry Krone

ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) (05/04/91)

In article <49@swatty.UUCP> root@mus.com (Superuser) writes:
>Does anybody out there have a version of mv for dos that works reasonably

No, but a shell program called Q-DOS II will perform this function.
(I like Q-DOS better than other shells because it doesn't have to read
the whole directory list every time it boots--it keeps a directory map
in a file.)  I admit that a lot of the time, I'd rather have a command
line mv, though.

		Marshall Abrams
		ab2r@midway.uchicago.edu

tmurphy%hellgate.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.172301.20142@midway.uchicago.edu>, ab2r@quads.uchicago.edu (Marshall Abrams) writes:
> In article <49@swatty.UUCP> root@mus.com (Superuser) writes:
> >Does anybody out there have a version of mv for dos that works reasonably

You can get a whole set of UNIX like file utils from several anon ftp
sites.  It generally falls under the heading of gnuish msdos project.
I use the mv command at home on my pc daily without hitch and in the
same manner as I do on my unix box here.  Try wuarchive.wustl.edu in
the mirrors/msdos/gnuish directory and get the futil archive.

murph

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (05/04/91)

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) writes:

>In article <49@swatty.UUCP> root@mus.com (Superuser) writes:
>>Does anybody out there have a version of mv for dos that works reasonably

>Try using 4DOS. It's got a very nice version of mv (move) and even better
>[...]
>It will cost you $50 if you decide to use it but it's worth every

We all already have a mv program for free because we have Dos.
Every Dos version since 2.0 can do this but the command.com is
to stupid to allow it. Simply use Turbo Pascal and rename the
file, this will do the job. I have written a program that does
exactly this plus copies and deletes if the above is not
possible (different disk drives). I can mail uuencoded copies
to everyone who is interested.

Klaus
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (05/06/91)

There is a shareware program from a "Dr. David" (if I don't remember wrongly)
called "REND" (currently at version 1.3). It probably stand for rename
directory. It can be used as "mv" --- and it will move the whole directory
tree too. Very nice and fast. The document says that the registered version
can move directory across drive.

It is probably available on a lot of ftp site, but I can remember which
one off hand.

Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, you are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>