[comp.sys.ibm.pc] making 720K floppy 1.44M

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.061300.13670@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric DeVolder) writes:
>Okay, all you IBM PC techno gurus, here is a question for you.  What I have
>in mind is this:  Is it possible to create your own device driver, for DOS
>or some other OS, that does not use the BIOS but rather communicates directly
>with the drive controller and make the drive believe that it is a 1.44M disk?
>
>I have noticed, as I am sure hundreds of other people have, that alot of the
>problems of trying to add a higher density drive to a PC is that the BIOS
>does not support it.  So, why not bypass BIOS and create your own subroutine(s)
>to handle the disk drive.  Outside of the check for the 1.44M hole on the
>actual disk, I don't really see any problems in doing this.
>
>If this is possible or it has already been done, I would welcome any pointers
>as to where to this driver or source to a driver would reside.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric DeVolder

Somewhere on SIMTEL, there is a program called FDFORMAT16, which lets you
do all kinds of neat things with your floppies.  I format 1.44 Meg floppies
to 1.77 Megs.  It should support 3.5 inch floppies even on old XTs.  But to
get 1.44 Megs from a 720K floppy you still have to add a hole.  It isn't worth
it.  Why not just buy 1.44s?  They are available for $.79 from MEI
1-800-634-3478 in lots of 25.  (Add $3 ? for s/h).  This is apparently a
good company with good prices, so I'm told.  They have a small but impressive
line of products.

BTW, I DON'T work for MEI, but I DO plan on ordering from them.

* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu