[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (12/23/86)

Could some kind soul please post (or email to me)
instructions for unencoding and installing the
More program that was recently posted. I'm totally
new to this newsgroup and I'm also a novice PC user.

Thanks in advance.		Paul Calamai

CSNET: phcalamai%water%waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  calamai@anl-mcs  or  na.calamai@su-score
UUCP:  ... decvax!watmath!phcalamai

anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar) (07/06/88)

	The 20 meg hard-drive in our AT developed some bad tracks in the
FAT and directory tracks.  Could you suggest a way to retrieve the data that's
there?  Most of the files are ok, the only problem is that the directory
has been corrupted, and part of one important file.  What's DOS' storage
format??  Thanks in advance!

							Anand

brmorrow@uokmax.UUCP (Brett Morrow) (08/02/88)

I was looking for some assistance.   I am thinking of getting
a packard bell 12 MHZ AT clone.  I was wondering if anyone out
there has used one of these machine and can tell me if it works
well.   I am planning on running SCO Zenix and a terminal off
it.

I was also wondering about tape drives.  The system I am planning on
will have a 40 meg drive.  I am wondering if I need a 40 meg tape
backup.  Or will a smaller one work with multiple tapes.

    please send me replies by mail at

        bmorrow@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu

            Thank You in advance.

gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu (04/05/89)

I am a kind of novice in PC world, so I post this problems to get
help from PC hackers (specially graphics and dBass hackers).

I have some pictures on the several papers (It is a picture composed of
some bars with some marks on it, and some arrows...things like that, in other words, it is a kind of geometric figure), and I would like to make a
program which read pictures, manipulate them, and produce some what
modified pictures.. I have several questions.

1. Is it possible to read the figure on the paper directly inside
the PC by using some special input device (such as a scanner). Probably,
that kind of input device won't exist, if then, can i use digitizer for this
purpose? what kind of digitizer is available to IBM-AT?

2. If there is no way to directly input the figure data, them may be, I can
select some features from the figure data and make a program that produce
modified figures by manipulating those selected features...
For my purpose, what kind of graphic software is most useful? Is
AUTOCAD useful for this purpose? I want my program (which manipulates and
outputs graphics) to communicate with the dBaseIII data. What is a good
approach for it?

It seems that I need several advices. come on you PC hackers and
graphic and dBase experts..... Please help me.
Please send advices to me directly. My e-mail is
gblee@cs.ucla.edu
thank you..

Geunbae Lee
AI lab, UCLA

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (07/18/89)

Could someone please tell me the address for the moderator of the
comp.virus news group.  Thanks.....

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) (10/26/89)

Hello World,

What is the trick to remapping the F11 & F12 keys in DOS on a
101 keyboard.  With ANSI.sys or NANSI.sys loaded I can remap F1 to
F10 like this:

If escape is represented as ^E it looks like
^E[0;59;"foo.bat";13p
where 59 is the scan code for F1, which would make the F1 key run
foo.bat.

But, ^E[0;133;"foo.bat";13p
where 133 is the scan code for F11, which should make the F11 key run
foo.bat, does nothing.  The same goes for the F12 key, scan code 134.

Using a utility keymon.com I see that F1 to F10 are indeed generating
the correct scan codes, as are F11 & F12.  So whats really going on?
or whats a guy to do?

Thanx in advance
Steve Leach
--

Return to sender:
uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!stevel

baird@cod.NOSC.MIL (John M. Baird) (10/27/89)

From article <2820@phred.UUCP>, by stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach):
> Hello World,
>
> What is the trick to remapping the F11 & F12 keys in DOS on a
> 101 keyboard.  With ANSI.sys or NANSI.sys loaded I can remap F1 to
> F10, but I am having trouble with F11 and F12.
You don't say what level of DOS you are using. I believe what you tried
should work under DOS 3.x, but under DOS 4.x, you need to put a /X on the
DEVICE=ANSI.SYS line for it to work.  [I haven't tested this, but
that is what the IBM document states. Also, I suspect NANSI.SYS won't
support the /X.]

John Baird, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/27/89)

In article <2820@phred.UUCP> stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) writes:
>What is the trick to remapping the F11 & F12 keys in DOS on a
>101 keyboard.

ANSI.SYS/NANSI.SYS/NNANSI.SYS... read the keyboard using a BIOS call that
does not return "extended" key codes. If it did then you would get different
codes for the numeric keypad rather than the new key cluster -- and you
probably wouldn't want that.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (04/14/90)

Have anyone heard of the program called EXECUDATA?
I need to find out where I can get the program..
Thanks

campus: University of Southern California  |     "Black Velvet"
        Alumni House                       |           --Alannah Myles

ezor@bnet.UUCP (Chris patton) (05/13/91)

        I received a STARWRITER printer the other day.  Unfortuanately it
came without manual and software and I don`t have a driver for it and also
can't get the  switches set.  Does anyone know anything about them
or the company that distributes or makes them, so I can contact them
and get a manual and info.?

                                -EZOR-

Chris patton
ezor@bnet.UUCP
Link to the Beyond BBS	+1 812 339-5140		Member of the VBBSN