[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Super VGA in an IBM XT.

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (05/06/91)

Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
video modes?

I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.

matt.

buch@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Michael Bucci) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May6.115535.5317@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
>video modes?

It would be possible if you could find an 8-bit Super VGA card (good luck)!

>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.

Even if you could, 640x480 graphics would be extremely SLOW on an XT.

buch@mckinsey.com  ====>  Michael Bucci
                          McKinsey & Company, Inc.
                          Cambridge, MA

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/15/91)

In <1991May13.205551.1369@mck-csc.mckinsey.com> buch@csc-sun.mckinsey.com
>In <1991May6.115535.5317@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au
>>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all video modes?
>It would be possible if you could find an 8-bit Super VGA card (good luck)!
   Not true, there are several, and all better cards autosense when in a
8 bit slot and `disable' the 16 bit extension.

>>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.
>Even if you could, 640x480 graphics would be extremely SLOW on an XT.
   Most all Super VGA cards have enough memory onboard. Being in a XT only
slows it down by about 1/2 due to a 8 bit slot.  The big factor is clock
rate of the system, and more importantly, the speed of the bios.  If the
XT system were using a inboard 386 pc, the video would be quite fast.

al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu