[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Encrypting Disk Device Driver

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (05/15/91)

Scenario: I've got lots of stuff on a disk I'd like to keep CONFIDENTIAL.
          I'd like to make sure that NOONE but I can get to the data on the
          entire disk.

Proposal: I'd like a device driver, which manages the hard disk, and
          encrypts all data written to the disk.  I'd like the
          device driver to prompt me to enter the encryption key when
          the system boots.

Does any company currently sell such a beast?  Would it genuinely
insure that the data would be (practically) un-stealable?

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ DBS, Inc (404) 239-2347   ...gatech!nanoVX!msa3b!kevin
English Lesson: THEY'RE at THEIR home, over THERE. YOU'RE sure of YOUR facts?

grover@dawkins.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) (05/16/91)

In article <1642@msa3b.UUCP>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
)
) Scenario: I've got lots of stuff on a disk I'd like to keep CONFIDENTIAL.
)           I'd like to make sure that NOONE but I can get to the data on the
)           entire disk.
)
) Proposal: I'd like a device driver, which manages the hard disk, and
)           encrypts all data written to the disk.  I'd like the
)           device driver to prompt me to enter the encryption key when
)           the system boots.
)
) Does any company currently sell such a beast?  Would it genuinely
) insure that the data would be (practically) un-stealable?
)

Norton 5.0 has something that sounds exaclty like what you described.  You create
virtual disks, any time you try to access files on the virtual disk, you are
prompted for a password.  The virtual disk is then 'open' until you close, in
which case you would need to enter the password again to gain access.
(I suppose you could make most of the disk virtual, although I imagine that
the config.sys, autoexec.bat, and system files must be readable for boot, but
I am not sure of the specifics.)

I have never used it, but I read about it in the Norton 5.0 manuals.

--
  +-------------------------------------------------+----------------------+
  | Kevin Grover             UNLV Computer Science  |     Home of the      |

dubner@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Joe Dubner) (05/16/91)

> Scenario: I've got lots of stuff on a disk I'd like to keep CONFIDENTIAL.
>           I'd like to make sure that NOONE but I can get to the data on the
>           entire disk.                ^
.                                       |
.                                   ====
.
.
> English Lesson: THEY'RE at THEIR home, over THERE. YOU'RE sure of YOUR facts?

I thought this was hilarious!

English Lesson: NOONE is 12:00 misspelled and 'no one' is something else.

---
Regards,
Joe

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (05/17/91)

grover@dawkins.cs.unlv.edu (Kevin Grover) writes:

>In article <1642@msa3b.UUCP>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>)
>) Scenario: I've got lots of stuff on a disk I'd like to keep CONFIDENTIAL.
>)           I'd like to make sure that NOONE but I can get to the data on the
>)           entire disk.

>Norton 5.0 has something that sounds exaclty like what you described.  You create
>virtual disks, any time you try to access files on the virtual disk, you are
>prompted for a password.  The virtual disk is then 'open' until you close, in
>which case you would need to enter the password again to gain access.

Yes, Norton 5 has such a thing: DISKREET.
But: They didn't include it in the international package. You will
get it only if you are living in the US (and perhaps Canada?)
Is there something similar for people in Europe?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |