[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any news of Berkeley UNIX for PC's?

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (05/19/91)

This may not be the proper group, and if it isn't, my apologies.  Has anyone
heard what is happening with the release of Berkeley UNIX for use with
386-based PC's?

It was my impression that it was slated for release sometime soon.

If anyone can shed any light on the matter, or point me in the right direction
to get some answers, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

 ---
    Steve Pershing, System Administrator

 : The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :
 :===========================================================================:
 : Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
 : Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
 :           Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (05/20/91)

In article <mJ5521w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) writes:
> This may not be the proper group, and if it isn't, my apologies.  Has anyone
> heard what is happening with the release of Berkeley UNIX for use with
> 386-based PC's?

The last time I queried BSD, I got the following:

(addresses withheld to protect the innocent)

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 13:12:21 -0800

	I read the article on 386BSD in the February 1991 Doctor Dobb's Journal
	and I'm interested (as I'm sure many people are) in trying out your
	port.  Unfortunately, the article was very vague about how to go
	about getting a copy of this software.  Could you tell me what the
	procedure and restrictions are for doing so?

	Thanks,

	DJ Delorie
	dj@ctron.com

Thank you for your inquiry on 386BSD.

386BSD is distributed by the University of California at Berkeley
CSRG.  You should contact them at 415-642-7780 when 386BSD is
available.  In the meantime, the February issue will feature several
complete and freely redistributable programs used in the actual 386BSD
port.

BTW, here is the University's official statement on the subject:

" The 386BSD support will be available in February as part of a
revision of the 1989 Networking Release distribution.  One very
important fact to remember is, that although the 386BSD itself support
is freely redistributable, much of the rest of the operating system
and utilities require source licenses.  Therefore, the February
distribution will NOT be a complete system and cannot be booted or run
on a 386 machine.  The distribution will require only a Berkeley
license and distribution fee.  Previous fees were approximately $500,
but the actual fee has not yet been determined.

The 4.4BSD release is scheduled for the middle of 1991, and
additional, support for the 386 will be made available at that time."

Thank you for your comments on the article.  Please feel free to write
the Editor at Dr. Dobbs about 386BSD, so we can keep them coming.

Bill and Lynne Jolitz.