[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Cheap Terminal

root@swatty.UUCP (Larry Krone) (05/08/91)

Okay...I have an interesting question....what is the cheapest way
to remotely interface to a PC...(Definition of cheap:  Can I buy
a keyboard, hook a cable to my television (composite video) and plug
the cables into a box that goes to a modem....

Any Ideas (other than address of Insane Asylums...)

Thanx,

Larry Krone

smbrush@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov (ANDREW BRUSH) (05/10/91)

In article <51@swatty.UUCP>, root@swatty.UUCP (Larry Krone) writes...
>Okay...I have an interesting question....what is the cheapest way
>to remotely interface to a PC...(Definition of cheap:  Can I buy
>a keyboard, hook a cable to my television (composite video) and plug
>the cables into a box that goes to a modem....
>
>Any Ideas (other than address of Insane Asylums...)
>
>Thanx,
>
>Larry Krone

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Interface", If text is OK, try
reading comp.sys.dec for a week or so... you'll see some terminals for sale
for under $100.

The WYSE 99-GT I'm typing this on has PC graphics compatibility, and (I
think) cost about $300 new.  It hooks up via a serial port, and I don't
know what graphis mode is used (I lost TFM).

After you buy a video adapter, keyboard, etc, you probably have spent
almost as much.

Andrew S. Brush             | SMBRUSH@EARTH.lerc.nasa.gov
Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) (05/22/91)

root@mus.com (Larry Krone) writes:
>Okay...I have an interesting question....what is the cheapest way
>to remotely interface to a PC...(Definition of cheap:  Can I buy
>a keyboard, hook a cable to my television (composite video) and plug
>the cables into a box that goes to a modem....

I don't  think you'll want  to try to  conenct to  a  television.  The
picture may very  well be unreadable.   Perhaps the best way (assuming
you're not particular as to *how* you wnat to connect, but  to sheerly
set up some type of connection), is to purchase a dumb terminal (e.g.,
VT100 or the such) and connect it to a modem  or serial  interface for
connection with one of the COM ports on your PC.

  Scott K. Hutton, KA9WTR           Internet:  SHutton@UCS.Indiana.edu
  UCS Support Services                         SHutton@Bronze.UCS.Indiana.edu
  Indiana University                  Bitnet:  SHutton@IUIS, SHutton@IUBACS